Electron-Ion Collider Science CommunicatorJob ID 3760 Date posted 05/10/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily funded by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science.
Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world.
Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between.
Brookhaven Lab's Statekholder Relations Office (SRO) develops best-in-class communications, science education, government relations, and community involvement programs that advance the science and science education missions of the Laboratory, contribute to public understanding of science, enhance the value of the Lab as a community asset, and ensure that Laboratory internal and external stakeholders are properly informed and have a voice in Lab decisions of interest and importance to them.
Researchers at the Electron Ion Collider (EIC) will examine collisions of intense beams of polarized electrons with ions to answer essential questions about the makeup of matter and the strongest force in nature. The research and the technologies being developed to make it possible will also drive broader impacts in computing, human health, clean energy, and other national challenges.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is seeking an experienced science communicator to fill a Sr. Public Affairs Representative position in the Lab’s Stakeholder Relations Office (SRO). The successful candidate will initially work 50 percent for SRO on general science communications efforts and 50 percent on internal and collaboration communications and outreach efforts related to the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC)—a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility being built at Brookhaven in partnership with the U.S. Department of Energy’s Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (Jefferson Lab). This position will report to the Manager, Media & Communications Office and the EIC Project Manager and is based in Upton, New York, 60 miles east of New York City in Suffolk County.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Raise the profile of Brookhaven National Laboratory and its mission, vision, capabilities, advances, and initiatives among key audiences, including internal stakeholders, existing and potential collaborators, the worldwide science community, policy makers, and media
- Communicate to key audiences about the Electron-Ion Collider’s scientific advances, personnel, capabilities, news, and project developments through the production of activity and progress reports, posters, periodic newsletters, fact sheets, and other promotional materials in electronic, web-based, and hard-copy formats
- Work with scientists and managers throughout the Laboratory to identify newsworthy events, accomplishments, and developments
- Write content for the Lab's print, web, and social media outlets to communicate science research developments
- Develop content for the EIC website
- Coordinate EIC events and tours
- Work closely with EIC staff to develop and distribute communications to the growing community of scientists who will conduct experiments at EIC when it is fully operational (EIC users)
- Participate in outreach efforts related to scientific meetings, special events and tours
- Work closely with the EIC Associate Laboratory Director and Project Manager on internal and user communications
- Serve as a liaison with Brookhaven’s and Jefferson Lab’s communications offices and assist in the development of news releases; feature stories on EIC researchers, collaborators, and support staff; social media content; and other informational materials
- Cover science developments at the Lab
- Distribute news releases and pitch story ideas to local and national media
- Write feature articles, news releases, social media posts, fact sheets, brochures, annual or special reports, video scripts, and displays for conferences and other uses
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, science, or a related field or equivalent experience, generally on the basis of 2:1 (experience:college) years. Additional education in fields specifically related to the position requirements may offset qualifying experience
- Four years of science communications experience
- Experience in web-based communications and outreach
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate relationships with a wide range of customers and colleagues, including scientists, university faculty, and administrators, and in interacting with a diverse community of scientific, professional, and technical personnel at all organizational levels
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Preferred Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Graduate degree in journalism, science, or related field
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.