Electro-Mechanical TechnicianJob ID 3335 Date posted 08/10/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Omega Group in the Physics Department at BNL focuses on the ATLAS experiment at CERN in Geneva, Switzerland. BNL is the host laboratory for the U.S. ATLAS Operations Program, the U.S. ATLAS HL-LHC Upgrade Project, an ATLAS Tier-1 computing facility, and is designated as part of the U.S. ATLAS Support Center. The Omega Group in the Physics Department at BNL leads several physics analyses on the ATLAS experiment and has major responsibilities in operations, trigger, and software development. The group has leading roles in the ATLAS HL-LHC upgrade projects (silicon-strip detector, liquid argon calorimeter readout, and trigger/data acquisition electronics) and has strong R&D programs on trigger/data acquisition, high-performance computing, and silicon detectors.
The Omega group is looking for an electro-mechanical technician to participate in the construction, installation, and commissioning of the ATLAS HL-LHC Upgrade and the DUNE experiment. In this role you will be collaborating with an international and multicultural scientific community and working closely with scientists, technicians, engineers, and students at BNL, domestic institutes, and international institutes such as at CERN in Geneva, Switzerland.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assembly of delicate silicon strip electronics in a clean room environment.
- Operation of complex laboratory equipment such as microscopes, wirebonders, computer controlled linear stages, and metrology machines.
- General mechanical and electrical support. Examples of such support are:
- Assembling or debugging circuit boards.
- Making cables.
- Gluing small assemblies of small components.
- Machining mechanical components.
- Building mechanical structures for electronics systems.
- Building cryogenic and mechanical systems.
- Record keeping of inventory and fabricated components. Data is entered into a custom database or in Google documents.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires the equivalence of a technical institute or associate degree in a related scientific or technical field,
- Minimum of (4) years of relevant full-time work experience.
- Knowledge of operating and debugging test systems with both mechanical and electronic components.
- Knowledge of prototyping mechanical components in a machine shop, test stand construction with a focus on the mechanical, electrical, and cryogenic systems.
- Basic knowledge of Windows computers and applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a small team of technicians, scientists, and students.
- Hands-on problem solving skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with LabVIEW and similar applications.
- Experience in collaboration with mechanical engineers, electronics engineers, and scientists.
- Some (< 5%) domestic and international travel should be expected.
- Appointment level will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Candidates seeking to apply must submit an electronic application to this opening. Your application must include a resume as a single Word document or PDF.
Consideration of applications will begin August 1, 2022 and continue until the position is filled.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required at the start of your employment.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now