Electro-Mechanical TechnicianJob ID 3292 Date posted 07/13/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider Accelerator Department (C-AD) has an opening for an Electro-Mechanical Technician working with the Vacuum group. The Vacuum group is responsible for the maintenance, repairs, and upgrades of all the accelerator beam line vacuum and cryostat insulating vacuum for the C-AD complex. Vacuum levels throughout C-AD range from rough vacuum to XHV and it’s our responsibility to monitor them and ensure each machine is running at its designed level. In this role, you will work on R&D projects to support the Electron Ion Collider's design and machine upgrades and maintenance. You will also work on various types of pumps and pumping stations, gauges, and valves to ensure there are adequate supplies and spares. This position offers an opportunity to work alongside a group of talented engineers, and technicians on challenging and exciting projects. There will be a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community. The selected candidate must demonstrate they are ambition to learn and apply new knowledge and skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintenance, upgrades, system monitoring, and repair of accelerator vacuum systems throughout C-AD
- Installing, fabricating, assembling, troubleshooting, repairing, commissioning, and operating mechanical and electromechanical components for vacuum systems throughout C-AD
- Working on such equipment as vacuum chambers, vacuum beam piping, helium leak detectors, turbomolecular pumps, ion pumps, titanium sublimation pumps, residual gas analyzers, vacuum gauges, and any associated controls
- Use Microsoft Word and Excel to track and update inventories
- Work with system engineers and existing technical team to provide technical support to develop, maintain and upgrade vacuum systems throughout the C-AD complex
- Minor fabrication, assemble, install, troubleshoot, repair, and commission vacuum systems related to the accelerator
- Must be available for 24-hour call ins when needed
- Requires the equivalence of a technical institute or an Associates’ degree in a related scientific or technical field
- Four (4) years of full-time relevant work experience
- Demonstrated proficiency working with a multimeter and in the use of hand tools
- Electrical/electronic skills
- Working knowledge of MS Word and Excel
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills
- Must be self-motivated and willing and able to learn new skills and equipment in a dynamic environment
- Ability to work with minimum supervision under general technical direction
- Ability to work from drawings, schematics, and verbal instructions
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic machine shop skills
- PLC controls
- Experience with particle accelerator vacuum systems
- Vacuum bake out and PID controllers
- PVD coating
- Experience working in clean rooms
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Essential functions for this position; arm/hand dexterity, climb low to moderate heights, lift (up to) 30 lbs.
- Good vision, function in cool temperature environments
- Visa sponsorship for this position is not available
- Appointment level will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now