Electro/Mechanical TechnicianJob ID 2300 Date posted 09/08/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD), has a one-year term opportunity for an Electro-Mechanical Technician position. This role assists technicians and engineers in the development, fabrication, testing, installation, and maintenance of electrical/electronic systems that support the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider operations and system upgrades. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work will include the installation and termination of cables used for particle accelerator systems including high-current/high voltage copper, multi-strand and co-axial instrumentation, fiber optic, and RF helix cable
- Cable pulling entails the installations of light weight to heavy weight cables over short to long distances over several thousand feet
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires a high school diploma
- One (1) year full time relevant electrical, mechanical or technical work experience that demonstrates the ability to follow procedures to perform technical work assignments
- Knowledge of practical principles of mechanics, electronics, metallurgy, health physics, chemistry or related fields
- Must be self-motivated
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience performing large scale installation and termination of scientific apparatus
- Basic computer skills using MS Office applications
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Arm/hand dexterity
- Ability to climb ladders at low to moderate heights and sloping terrain; work with confidence at heights that can exceed thirty feet
- Lift (up to) 30 lbs, cable pullers must be able to lift at least 50 pounds,
- Good vision, mental sharpness, alertness and function in confined spaces
- This position may need to operate heavy equipment including mobile cranes, forklifts andor include riggin/hoisting
- Ability to work overtime as required
- Initial appointment is for one year with renewals contingent on funding and performance.
- Valid Driver’s License Required
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now