Electro-Mechanical TechnicianJob ID 1925 Date posted 10/28/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator Department has an opening for an Ion Source Technician in the Pre-injector Group. The Optically Pumped Polarized Ion Source (OPPIS) provides polarized proton beam injection for the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) and the high intensity-proton source provides protons for the Brookhaven Linear Isotope Producer (BLIP).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operation and maintenance of the Optically Pumped Polarized Ion Source (OPPIS), high-intensity proton source and Jet Polarimeter.
- Assembly and repair of related components and associated systems and subsystems.
- Participate in development and improvement projects for the OPPIS and Jet Polarimeter systems.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- The equivalence of a technical institute or Associate degree in a technical field.
- Four years of relevant experience.
- Basic understanding of electronic circuits and schematics.
- Ability to analyze system failure, troubleshoot, and resolve problems during failure situations.
- Possess knowledge of basic circuit principles and be familiar with standard electronic measurement equipment such as multi-meters and oscilloscopes, as well as their measurement principles.
- Ability to use hand tools for assembly of mechanical components.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Must be available for off hours call in as required.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with high vacuum, ion sources, electronics, controls, and mechanical fabrication.
- Basic machine shop tools operation.
- Experience maintaining and troubleshooting complex electronic, electrical, and mechanical systems.
- Ability to work overtime as required
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to lift 30 pounds.
- Ability to climb a ladder and be good with heights.
- Ability to work inside a 5 Gauss magnetic field.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- BNL will not sponsor a Visa for this position.
- The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on their experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file