Electro-Mechanical TechnicianJob ID 2787 Date posted 08/25/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
The NSLS-II Insertion Devices (ID) group has an opportunity for an experienced Electro-Mechanical Technician to join their team. The successful candidate will support maintenance and installations of new Insertion Devices (ID). Typical activities will include machining, fabrication and assembly of equipment to support the group operations as well as repairing various electro-mechanical systems in the lab. Additional duties will include assisting in magnetic measurements with related assembly and adjustments required to meet precise specifications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Machining, fabrication and assembly of equipment to support the group operation as well as repairing various electro-mechanical systems in the lab.
- Assist in the magnetic measurement with related assembly and adjustments required to meet precise specifications.
- Assemble complex parts and mechanical systems from prints, hand drawings and, through verbal communication within very tight tolerances.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- AAS degree in electro-mechanical technology or equivalent, plus at least six years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated experience with the manufacture, repair and maintenance of complex electro-mechanical systems such as AC and stepper motor drive systems, air compressors or similar equipment.
- Proficient in the use of electronic test equipment for diagnostics and troubleshooting.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work from mechanical drawings and schematics.
- Demonstrated commitment to working safely under strict guidelines.
- Ability to climb ladders and to qualify as a material handler to perform basic rigging tasks.
- Occasional overtime work will be required.
- Experience performing precision machining of a wide variety of materials using common machine tools; lathes, mills, drill press, and saws.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience wiring electronic chassis and signal cables.
- Experience with permanent magnets, ultra-high vacuum (leak checking and operation of vacuum pumps and gauges), cryogenic, motion control and water-cooling systems.
- Experience with software such as MS Excel, CAD and Linux operating system.
- Knowledge of Metrology and the use of precision inspection tools to the micron level.
- Skilled in soldering through-hole and surface-mount circuitry.
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table Tennis, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now