Electro/Mechanical Technical Specialist/Senior Mechanical Technical SpecialistJob ID 2163 Date posted 10/19/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department;of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Vacuum group in the Collider Accelerator Department (C-AD) has an opening for a Senior Mechanical or Electro/Mechanical Technician. Will be responsible for the installation, operation, maintenance, repair, and upgrading of 404 vacuum sections with a total length of 17,243 m and a total volume of 2,167 m3 throughout the C-AD complex. Almost 4,000 vacuum devices which include pumps, gauges, valves and associated controls are installed in the C-AD complex to support the present operations for RHIC, NASA Space Radiation Laboratory (NSRL), Brookhaven LINAC Isotope Producer (BLIP) and R&D projects such as Coherent Electron Cooling (CEC), Low Energy RHIC Electron Cooling (LeReC) and Electron Lens (eLENS).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operation, maintenance and repair of accelerator vacuum systems throughout C-AD
- Installing, fabricating, assembling, commissioning, troubleshooting, repairing, and operating mechanical and electro mechanical components for vacuum systems throughout C-AD and related equipment such as vacuum chambers and piping, leak detectors, turbomolecular pumps, ion pumps, titanium sublimation pumps, residual gas analyzers, vacuum gauges and their associated controls.
- Work with system engineers and existing technical team to provide technical support to develop, maintain and upgrade vacuum systems throughout the C-AD complex.
- Fabricate, assemble, install, commission, troubleshoot and repair vacuum systems related to the accelerator
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Equivalence of a technical institute or associate degree in a related scientific or technical field
- High degree of proficiency in the use of hand tools
- A minimum of four (4) years of relevant work experience
- Ability to work from drawings, schematics and verbal instructions
- Must be self-motivated, able to work with minimum supervision, and possess good communication skills
- Basic experience with computers and software such as Excel and Word
- Basic electrical skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with clean rooms and clean room assembly
- Experience with particle accelerator systems and/or vacuum systems is preferred
- Experience with machine shop equipment and practices
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Essential functions for this position include: arm/hand dexterity, ability to climb low to moderate heights, lift (up to) 30 lbs, good vision, function in cool temperature environments
- BNL will not sponsor a visa for this position
- The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on their experience
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now