Electrician AJob ID JR100517 Date posted 09/25/2023
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Under minimum supervision lays out, constructs, installs, maintains, repairs and operates (in accordance with the national electrical codes, or as otherwise directed) electrical systems, equipment, controls and related devices.
• May be required to perform similar duties on other than maintenance division equipment and facilities.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Seven years total experience composed of 5 years apprenticeship, and 2 years’ experience; or 7-9 years total experience composed of formal trade school plus minimum 2-years’ experience or 9 years’ experience (no formal training).
• Maintenance and installation experience with electrical systems in a large commercial or institutional setting up to 600 volts.
• Inspection of electrical systems and equipment to identify hazards, defects, and the need for repair, and to ensure compliance with the National Electrical Code.
• Inspect, maintain, and repair various types of indoor and outdoor lighting fixtures, 120V to 277V.
• Testing of electrical systems and continuity of circuits in electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures using various types of test equipment.
• Understanding and proficiency in safe work practices including LOTO (Lockout / Tagout), fall protection, confined space, and in the use of various types of personal protection equipment.
• Installation of conduit, junction boxes and all other electrical hardware necessary for conductor distribution.
• Installation of fire alarm panels, devices, and security systems.
• Installation of and maintenance of motors, motor starters, circuit breakers, panel boards, switchboards, and other electrical equipment.
• Ability to read and review electrical drawings.
• Respond to emergency situations, alarms, or occurrences in an appropriate manner.
• NYS Drivers license.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Working knowledge and proficiency of NFPA70 (National Electrical Code).
• Familiarity with NFPA70E-2015 (Electrical Safety in the Workplace).
• Current or past holder of a local County Master Electricians license.
• NYS fire/security alarm system installer license.
• Must meet the medical requirements of the “Job Assessment Form".
• Must have a telephone and must provide the number to BNL for callout and contact purposes.
• Must possess written and verbal skills.
• Must be capable of following written instruction procedures, work orders, and similar documents.
• Must possess the writing skills to sufficiently complete work orders and other required documents.
• Must be able to communicate verbally with customers, fellow workers, and supervisors.
• Must be able to complete all the requirements of the Job Training Assessment.
Environmental, Health, and Safety Considerations:
• Standing, bending, and lifting, up to 30 lbs.
• Ability to work in confined spaces.
• Ability to climb fixed and portable ladders and work at heights up to 30 feet.
• Use of a respirator and other related safety equipment.
• Work outdoors/cold environments.
• Work in warm environments.
• Use of powered and air operated hand tools.
• Work with machinery including benchtop grinders and similar.
• Work on scaffolds and operate man-lifts, aerial lifts, and boom trucks.
The Lab’s placement policy is to select the best qualified candidate for an available position. With respect to Bargaining Unit positions, candidates are considered in the following order: (1) present benefits-eligible employees within the department/division and/or appropriate bargaining unit, with preference for those within the immediate work group; (2) present benefits-eligible employees within the Laboratory; and (3) outside applicants.
Brookhaven Laboratory is committed to providing fair, equitable and competitive compensation. The full salary range for this position is $41.40 - $45.05 - $48.70 per hour.
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now