Electronics TechnicianJob ID 1465 Date posted 06/13/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider Accelerator department has a job opening in the Booster/AGS power supply group, for an Electrical technician for a position title Technical Specialist (T-2).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Will be assigned in the Booster/AGS power supply group as an Electrical Technician to support the operation and maintenance of all power supplies assigned to the group.
- Will be assigned to build prototype circuits from schematic drawings, and assemble chassis, using basic mechanical fabrication techniques.
- Will be trained on detailed power supply topologies to be able to troubleshoot and fix power supplies during operations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires an A.A.S degree in Electrical Engineering Technology, or equivalent plus at least four years of relevant work experience. Relevant experience must include maintenance and troubleshooting of complex electronic systems such as current regulated power supplies and analog /digital electronics.
- Experienced with Allen Bradley Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC’s) and Siemens PLC’s.
- Must be familiar with standard test and measurement equipment, such as function generators, oscilloscopes, multimeters, spectrum analyzers.
- Relevant experience must include maintenance and troubleshooting of complex electronic systems such as current regulated power supplies and analog /digital electronics.
- Must be self-motivated, able to work under minimum supervision and be available for off hours call ins as required.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic computer knowledge is desirable
“For this position, BNL will not sponsor a work visa”At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor