Electrical Power EngineerJob ID 2105 Date posted 10/19/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science, Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research.
Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Responsible for developing and performing new research projects related to the use of data analytics for enabling the next generation electric grid to realize the full potential of innovative new smart grid technologies, including smart sensors, to improve the performance, reliability and resilience of the grid.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaboration with other researchers in the IS department, as well as staff from other departments at BNL, including the Computer Science Initiative group.
- Responsibilities will include conceptualizing new grid research projects, developing and presenting project proposals to potential sponsors, and leading the performance of funded projects.
- Technical activities will include modeling and analysis of electrical systems with integrated DER, application of data analytics and machine learning techniques to develop tools for enhanced grid planning and operation, review and analysis of operational data obtained from utility partners, and evaluation of innovative new technologies for applications to smart grids.
- · PhD in electrical power systems engineering with a strong focus on modeling and analysis of electrical networks, as well as experience in data analytics for application to smart grid technologies
- · Working knowledge of the electrical power grid, including both transmission and distribution system planning functions, operations, and restoration following outages, as well as the associated power grid energy markets and how they operate.
- Experience modeling electrical networks with integrated distributed energy resources (DER), such as solar, wind, grid-scale storage and load management functionality (e.g., demand-response)
- Experience with one or more power system analytical software programs currently used in the power industry, such as PSCAD™, SimPowerSystems™, OpenDSS, CYME, PSS®E , or hardware-in-loop (HIL) simulators such as RTDS and OPAL-RT
- Expertise and experience in “Big Data Analytics” and machine learning and their applications to a smart electrical power grid and at least one of the following areas are required:
- Planning and operational control in transmission and/or distribution systems.
- Applicants must have demonstrated success or experience in developing and executing sponsor funded research programs, including concept development, proposal writing, budget preparation and project planning.
- Ability to work as part of a project team.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Candidates with existing sponsor relationships and funded grid research projects are preferred.
- Experience in the development and use of integrated system models (ISMs) that combine planning, operation and restoration functionality into a single Geographic Information System (GIS) based model is desirable.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now