Electrical / Mechanical Drafter (2-year position)Job ID 2042 Date posted 02/13/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
sPHENIX is a major upgrade to the PHENIX detector at the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC). This upgrade brings new capability to the RHIC program by opening new and important channels for experimental investigation that fully utilizes the luminosity of the recently upgraded RHIC facility. sPHENIX enables a compelling jet physics and heavy flavor program that will address fundamental questions about the nature of the strongly coupled quark-gluon plasma discovered at RHIC.
The Physics Department has an opening for a Principal Drafter (TW-4) for a two-year assignment.
In this role, you will perform a variety of skilled technical drafting and design tasks which require the application of most of the standardized drafting techniques. Performance of these duties requires a working knowledge and application of practical principles in drafting. You will work-out problems in projections, sectioning and dimensioning. An advanced working knowledge of electrical and mechanical drafting procedures is required. This position may occasionally direct the work of other technical support personnel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Use innovative approaches and 3D modeling software to develop solutions and layouts for detector electrical components, cable routing paths and supports for wire and cable bundles.
- Use innovative approaches and 3D modeling software to develop solutions and layouts for pneumatic and hydraulic piping, coolant lines and other support services.
- Provide piping and instrumentation diagrams, 2D wiring diagrams and other CAD models for the design and documentation of wiring and piping infrastructure
- Provide design documentation for procurement and quality assurance operations.
- Support field operations for fabrication and construction activities.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Associate degree in a technical field or equivalent capabilities, plus two (2) years relevant work experience, or a BS in a technical field.
- Experience using modern industry-standard CAD packages.
- Experience preparing wiring diagrams, piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&ID) and other 2D service infrastructure layouts.
- Experience in preparing 3D modeling of cable and pipe routing, cable trays, pipe supports and other modeling of electrical and mechanical services infrastructure.
- Demonstrated ability to apply basic real-world knowledge of wiring and cabling practices, electrical components, tube and piping sizing and hardware, cable harnesses and trays and other types of infrastructure support.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of wiring and cabling practices, electrical components, tube and piping sizing and hardware, cable harnesses and trays and other types of infrastructure support.
- Advanced abilities to perform engineering analysis and calculations for electrical and mechanical infrastructure components and systems.
- Experience using SolidWorks, AutoCAD Inventor or other AutoCAD products, Pro-Engineer or other industry standard CAD packages.
- Ability to perform basic engineering calculations to support design work.
- Familiarity with PLC programming and the deployment of relay-based logic systems, industrial controls and safety systems.
- Experience working with a mixed team of technicians, engineers and scientists.
- Experience working on a large science project.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Must be able to work at heights and in confine spaces as necessary.
- Some work within or around labs containing radioactive sources may be necessary.
- Some work in posted radiation areas may be necessary.
- Some work in areas with static magnetic fields > 5 gauss may be necessary.
- Some domestic travel may be required.
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now