Electrical EngineerJob ID 2520 Date posted 02/25/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II is a 3 GeV electron accelerator generating x-rays for fundamental research. The NSLS-II Radio Frequency systems provide the energy to accelerate the electrons and maintain their energy as they radiate x-rays for use in research beam-lines. The RF systems include superconducting RF cavities kept cold by a helium cryoplant and powered by 300 kW vacuum tube or solid state amplifiers. These complex systems are managed by programable logic and fast digital controls with nested feedback loops
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) RF/Cryo group has an opening for an Electrical Engineer willing to be trained as an RF engineer to design, develop, integrate, commission and support the operation of the Radio Frequency systems consisting of UHF and S-band high power transmitters, superconducting RF cavities, helium cryoplant and a suite of high power DC supplies and high speed analog/digital control systems. The position involves responsibilities for developing new and maintaining existing RF systems including high-power solid-state amplifiers, superconducting RF cavities, vacuum tube amplifiers and their associated high voltage power supplies and high speed analog/digital circuits development and implementation to meet the needs of NSLS-II operations. Work as a contributing and productive member of a team of engineers and assist in the direction of technicians during all phases of component selection, prototyping, construction, commissioning, equipment operation and troubleshooting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate and develop the RF systems in areas of high power DC power supplies, transmission lines and passive devices, Programmable Logic Controllers and feedback systems.
- Procure and/or develop hardware and firmware/software for the ever-evolving accelerator needs.
- Support operations, troubleshooting and repairs of RF systems including off-hour issues.
- Generate wiring and schematic diagrams.
- Willingness to learn radio frequency systems theory and practice over a wide range of disciplines.
- Maintain sound knowledge of current principles and practices in a specialized engineering field.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or physics.
- Minimum three (3) years progressively responsible related work experience.
- Proven expertise in one or more of the following disciplines
- High power DC power supplies
- Radio Frequency systems
- High Speed analog/digital-rf board design
- Programable Logic Controllers, Siemens preferred.
- Proven trouble shooting skills in highly complex systems using high speed scopes, spectrum analyzers, power meters and multimeters
- Proficient in at least one of the following engineering software packages or equivalent
- Pspice or similar analog/digital RF circuit modeling software
- 2D and 3D electromagnetic modeling codes such as HFSS, CST and Superfish
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with a diverse group of technical staff
- Available for off-hour call-ins for emergency machine repairs, etc. (typically <2.5%).
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- MS degree in electrical engineering or physics
- RF/microwave, analog circuit design and digital signal processing.
- HFSS, Verilog, MATLAB, EPICS and/or PLC programming.
- High voltage design and application (>10kV).
- Experience with feedback control algorithms
- Candidate will be placed at appropriate level contingent upon depth and breadth of experience.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to navigate stairs.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball,
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now