Electrical EngineerJob ID 3486 Date posted 11/18/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Brookhaven National Laboratory was recently chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. The machine design is based on the existing and highly optimized RHIC Ion-Ion collider. It will consist of two intersecting accelerators, one producing an intense beam of electrons, the other a beam of protons or heavier atomic nuclei which are steered into collisions. Beyond sparking scientific discoveries in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the Electron-Ion Collider will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impact on human health and national challenges.
We seek an experienced Electrical Engineer to join the Low-Level RF group in the EIC Directorate. The EIC facility will have approximately 50 Super Conducting RF and 20 Normal Conducting RF systems with challenges such as heavy beam loading, very high RF power and ultra-low-noise operation. The LLRF group is responsible for developing state-of-the-art FPGA-based RF control systems to accelerate, control and manipulate particle beams at the future EIC complex. The candidates for these positions will provide design, development and documentation support for other engineers and technicians on the LLRF team as well as work in close cooperation with other accelerator systems groups.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate in development of next generation FPGA-based RF control systems - from concept to design, testing and operation.
- Design and implement digital signal processing and control algorithms through system modeling, firmware/software development and testing to control cavities, amplifiers and associated electronics.
- Develop verification test plans and procedures to ensure the developed product meets the specified requirements.
- Install and trouble shoot RF system controllers and their supporting electronic systems.
- Provide upgrade, operation and maintenance support for legacy devices maintained and operated by LLRF Group at the RHIC facility.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline
- At least 3 years of progressively responsible relevant experience
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques commonly used in RF development and hardware design including both RF circuit, as well as digital signal processing
- Experience with FPGA design using the latest generation Xilinx/Intel chips, HDL coding using VHDL and/or Verilog
- Knowledge in HDL simulation, timing closure analysis, and resource optimization
- Experience with hardware circuit design including ADCs, DACs, DDR memories
- Familiarity with electronics test equipment – e.g., function generators, oscilloscopes, spectrum and network analyzers and multimeters
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Solid communications, collaboration, and presentation skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with Vivado/Vitis design flow and MatLab/Simulink system modelling
- Zynq UltraScale+ or other SoC design experience
- Experience working with high-speed transceivers in FPGAs (GTP/GTX/GTH)
- Printed Circuit Board schematic capture and layout experience
- Familiarity of code revision systems, such as git
- Programming experience using C/C++ or Python in Windows or Linux
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds, climb a ladder (low to moderate heights), wear PPE
- Occasional travel.
- Appointment level will be commensurate with experience and qualifications
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-Funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now