Electrical EngineerJob ID 1851 Date posted 09/05/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider Accelerator Department has an opening for an Electrical Engineer to plan, coordinate, and perform all phases of the engineering work for a medium and parts of large sized projects. The ideal candidate will participate individually or as part of a research team to provide engineering expertise for facility and/or high voltage equipment. May oversee the work of engineers, drafters, technicians, and others who assist in assignments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, operation, and troubleshooting of high voltage systems.
- Development and improvement of existing high voltage systems.
- Defining project goals, tasks, and resource requirements.
- Building and evaluating prototypes and models, and construction and test of systems and equipment.
- Resolves or assists in the resolution of complex problems with design requirements and unsuitability of conventional materials.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires a bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline or closely related field of study.
- Minimum seven (7) years progressively responsible related work experience that demonstrates a sound knowledge of current principles and practices in a specialized field of engineering.
- Knowledge of current principles and practices of high voltage engineering
- Experience with high voltage multipliers
- Experience with measurement techniques for high voltage systems
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Design and operations of high voltage power supplies
- knowledge of current principles and practices in high voltage engineering.
- Computer programing capabilities (LabView)
- Familiarity with principals of Van de Graaff generators
- Control system experience.
- The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on their experience.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to lift 30 pounds.
- Ability to climb a ladder and be at a height of up to five feet.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now