Electrical Engineer/Project ManagerJob ID 3396 Date posted 09/12/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Modernization Project Office (MPO) mission is to design, construct, and update the physical BNL plant to provide facilities where world class research can be performed. The MPO team is responsible for leading BNL’s efforts in facilities modernization.
The Modernization Project Office (MPO) is seeking an experienced electrical engineering professional with project management experience. The individual shall have a minimum of three years of electrical engineering design with project management experience in commercial and institutional building applications. The candidate will assist project managers with electrical engineering tasks and will provide general electrical engineering support for design and construction projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Layout and design of electrical equipment including but not limited to normal and emergency switchboards/switchgears, motor control centers, distribution and branch panel boards, disconnect switches, motor starters/VFD, etc.
- Perform calculations to validate added loads to existing electrical service and/or distribution and coordinated overcurrent protection and equipment sizing to comply with NEC.
- Analyze engineering problems and offer effective and efficient resolutions to management/project manager in a timely manner while working on several projects at once.
- Development of design documents, specifications, and detailed risers.
- Prepare and/or review detailed cost estimates and contracts.
- Perform construction related activities including the review of shop drawing submittals, preparation of Request for Information (RFI) responses.
- Conduct site visits before and during construction to identify issues and recommend field modifications depending on site conditions.
- Perform project management duties including, but not limited to, validating project scope, tracking project budget and milestones, and ensuring procedural documentation is completed and recorded.
- Provide assistance to project managers overseeing projects by external A/E consultants.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an accredited University or College and at least three (3) years progressively responsible experience in electrical systems design.
- Must have broad knowledge of building electrical systems including grounding, lighting, lighting controls, and fire alarm systems.
- Detailed knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC- NFPA 70) and other NFPA codes relevant to power systems, fire alarm and applicable industry and client standards.
- Knowledge in the preparation of specifications for the selection and installation of power distribution equipment.
- Analyze complex engineering problems and offer effective and efficient resolutions to management/project manager in a timely manner while working on several projects at once.
- Knowledge in the preparation of load calculations, short-circuit availability, and other electrical power distribution and lighting calculations to support the design projects.
- Develop electrical construction bid documents including single line and three-line drawings, relaying schematics, equipment layouts, underground distribution duct banks, equipment schedules, conduit routing, distribution, motor control schemes, lighting and lighting controls, and fire alarm.
- Excellent teamwork and customer communications skills are required.
- Must be proficient in the use of AutoCAD to produce design drawings and sketches.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point).
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced degree (e.g., Masters’ degree in Electrical Engineering)
- Professional engineering license in New York State
- PMP certification
- Proficient in Revit
- Knowledge of medium voltage distribution and transmission
- Development of low voltage design documents (telecom, security, AV)
- Proficient in SKM, Lumen, or any other industry recognized software to support calculations
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Hand / eye coordination
- Moderate lifting (up to 30 lbs)
- Ability to climb a ladder to work at heights greater than 5 feet.
- Valid NYS Driver’s License is required
- Visa sponsorship wil not be offered for this position
- This is an on-site position eligible for consideration of flexible work arrangement (hybrid telework) at the discretion of the department manager
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table Tennis, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.