Electrical Engineer - Precision Power Supply Control SystemsJob ID 1670 Date posted 03/14/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
An electrical engineer is needed to supply electrical engineering resource to design, troubleshoot and maintain precision power supply control systems used in particle accelerator applications. The power supply controls systems use very complex analog and digital systems. The selected candidate will also learn these types of systems by helping to develop a next generation of power supply controls for NSLS II or other facilities.
The selected candidate will report to the head of the Electrical Engineering Group.
- BS Degree in Electrical Engineering and minimum of 3 years of experience in design and testing complex analog and or digital control systems.
- Demonstrated experience in using electronic circuit analysis software for both analog and digital circuits.
- Experience in the selection of the hardware required for mixed signal circuit boards for controls applications.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and interact with a diverse group of scientist and technical staff.
- Experience in design, development of complex precision analog and digital control systems for use on high precision power supplies.
- Experience in the use of FPGA and micro-controllers in control applications.
- Knowledge in stability criteria as it pertains to power supply controls.
- Knowledge of electrical system used in a particle accelerator.
- Technical writing skills and the use of spreadsheets.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file