Electrical Engineer, Power SupplyJob ID 3155 Date posted 06/12/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) was recently chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. The machine design is based on the existing and highly optimized RHIC Ion-Ion collider. It will consist of two intersecting accelerators, one producing an intense beam of electrons, the other a beam of protons or heavier atomic nuclei which are steered into collisions. Beyond sparking scientific discoveries in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the Electron-Ion Collider will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impact on human health and national challenges.
We seek an Electrical Engineer to join our Power Supply Systems group. In this role, you will work with team members developing, designing, procuring, testing, and installing magnet power supplies and devices for the EIC. These power supply systems control the path of the beams for the EIC accelerator systems. You will also assist in developing specifications, documenting, and developing plans, schedules, and cost, tracking, and managing execution, and monitoring and reacting to project risks and scope adjustments. We seek candidates with a background in DC and ramped high and low current power supplies and power electronics and enjoy working a collaborative, team environment.
Join the BNL EIC team and be part of building the next discovery machine for science!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Power Supply Systems staff, accelerator physicists, and EIC system managers and engineers to develop, define, and document detailed requirements and specifications for magnet power supply systems.
- Collaborate with other engineers and technicians to deliver EIC power supply systems and components. Participate in various project phases including, initial concept, engineering analysis, detailed design, integration, fabrication procurement assembly, testing, installation, and commissioning.
- Work as part of a team in all magnet power supply system projects. Assist in developing project plans defining and documenting scope, required labor and material resources, schedules, and procurement plans.
- Ensure that magnet power supply systems and components have well defined specifications for support systems: electrical power, water cooling, HVAC, compressed air, and controls, and that these are communicated with the responsible support groups.
- Maintain an environment conducive to openness, collaboration, and respect for all.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BS in Electrical Engineering or related discipline
- At least three (3) years of relevant technical experience that demonstrates an understanding of DC and/or ramped high current power supplies and power electronic systems. Background must include design, development, and testingexperience on creative engineering projects
- General knowledge of SCR rectifiers, linear, and switch mode power supplies
- Familiarity with electronic test equipment including function generators, oscilloscopes, and multimeters
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and collaborate/interact with other engineering and scientific staff for assignment, and guidance. Support contractors, vendors, project management and procurement professionals
- Experience organizing and presenting technical status reports, utilizing MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of precision DC high current/voltage power supplies, and feedback control
- Good understanding of analog and digital electronic technologies
- Good electrical system testing and trouble-shooting skills
- Experience with technical software: PSpice, PSIM, MicroCap or other circuit analysis tools, Matlab, MathCad
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Will be required to climb ladders for equipment installation and inspection
- Will be required to become a qualified Radiation Worker
- May be required to occasionally work off-hours, nights and/or weekends to support mission critical projects
- Selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge, skills, and experience.
OTHER INFORMATION: (add if applicable)
- Valid drivers’ license is required
- Some travel may be required
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now