Electrical Engineer, Beam InstrumentationJob ID 3443 Date posted 11/04/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Brookhaven National Laboratory was recently chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. The machine design is based on the existing and highly optimized RHIC Ion-Ion collider. It will consist of two intersecting accelerators, one producing an intense beam of electrons, the other a beam of protons or heavier atomic nuclei which are steered into collisions. Beyond sparking scientific discoveries in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the Electron-Ion Collider will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impact on human health and national challenges.
The Electron Ion Collider Instrumentation Group has an opening for an Electrical/Electronics Engineer to design, develop, integrate, commission, and support the operation of complex beam line instrumentation systems. These include beam position monitors, beam loss monitors, beam current and charge monitoring devices, transverse, and longitudinal profile monitors. The position involves responsibilities for designing future planned particle beam line instrumentation components, signal processing electronics, calibrations, interface to the controls system and ensuring the overall performance meets the requirements of the physics program. You will work as a contributing and productive member of a team of engineers, consult with physicists, and may assist in the direction of technicians during all phases of the design, component selection, prototyping, construction, commissioning, and equipment operation. Must possess the keen ability to push the leading edge and recommend methods for solving problems.
Join BNL at the beginning of this ground-breaking scientific and engineering project and become part of the team building this scientific discovery machine (bnl.gov/eic).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide engineering support for all aspects of developing accelerator beam instrumentation and diagnostics systems (i.e., design, develop, integrate, commission, and support the operation)
- Interact with technical experts, engineers, and scientists from other groups to achieve goals
- May assist in the oversight and direction of technicians
- Maintain and implement safety practices and procedures
(The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge, skills and experience.)
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline or closely related field of study
- At least three (3) years of relevant experience
- Knowledge of analog and digital electronic circuits and troubleshooting experience to the component level
- Experience with electronics test equipment, scopes, spectrum analyzers and multi-meters
- Must be able to work from schematics, diagrams, written procedures, spreadsheets, controls interface documents
- Experience with software-based design tools for electronic circuit simulations and analysis (e.g., Pspice, LTSpice)
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and good interpersonal skills are required to interact with a diverse group of scientists and technical staff
- Familiar with Microsoft Office applications
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with particle beam instrumentation systems
- MS degree in electrical or electronics engineering, physics or related field.
- Seven (7) years of experience as an electrical/electronics engineer
- Experience with one or more of the following:
- PC board design and fabrication
- RF and analog circuit design, amplifiers, gated integrators, pulse shapers, filters, digitizers, and digital signal processing
- Pspice, Cadence, and LabVIEW software
- Linux operating system, FPGA programming
- Knowledge of computer programming languages such as C++, Perl, Python
- Knowledge of project management concepts, control account manager, EVMS
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements
- Must be safety-conscious and able to follow detailed written procedures
- Must be able to lift and carry 30 pounds and climb a ladder up to 10 feet
- Ability to wear personal protection equipment
- Occasional travel
- The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge, skills and experience
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-Funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now