Electrical DesignerJob ID 3176 Date posted 06/13/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-AD department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The C-AD has an opening for an Electrical Designer in the Design and Documentation Group. Under the technical direction of the group leader and the assigned engineer/scientist, the selected candidate will design and provide fabrication drawings for printed circuit boards and other components used for the particle accelerators using computer-aided design software. Assignments are usually on a project basis, so the candidate must be able to exercise a high degree of initiative and judgment to plan, coordinate, and perform their design efforts working with a diverse and international scientific community.This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create accurate and detailed printed circuit boards and library components to the IEEE-STD 315 standard
- Perform electrical design functions independently with general direction and review by an electrical engineer or scientist
- With the support of electrical engineers, will interpret and create drawings of circuit card assemblies, wiring diagrams, electrical schematics, and create and maintain standard library electronic parts
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires a technical institute or associate degree in a related scientific or engineering field
- Requires a minimum of six (6) years full time relevant work experience, with demonstrated competency using designing precision analog, RF and high-speed digital multi-layer printed circuit boards (PCB)
- Experience with Mentor Graphic, PADS, Altium, and/or Allegro Cadence
- Clear and concise technical communication skills for close communication with engineers, reporting changes and modifications and with technical staff who install and maintain equipment
- Must be able to review and check the PCB and fabrication drawings of other design group personnel
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to follow ANSI Y32.2 IEEE-STD 315 and ASME Y14.5, as well as laboratory standards for schematic design, circuit board layout, fabrication, and assembly
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Experience with AutoCAD is a plus
- Visa sponsorship for this position is not available
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now