Electrical Design Engineer (Experienced)Job ID 2810 Date posted 06/12/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Modernization Project Office (MPO) mission is to design, construct, and update the physical BNL plant to provide facilities where world class research can be performed. The MPO team is responsible for leading BNL’s efforts in facilities modernization.
The Modernization Project Office (MPO) is seeking an experienced electrical engineering professional with a minimum of seven years of power and low voltage design engineering experience in commercial and institutional building applications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform layout and design of lighting, power distribution systems (less than 600 volts), lighting controls, grounding, voice/data (copper and fiber optic) communications, and fire alarm for construction and renovation projects across the Lab
- Analyze complex engineering problems and offer effective and efficient resolutions to management/project manager in a timely manner while working on several projects at once
- Develop electrical construction bid documents including single line and three-line drawings, relaying schematics, equipment layouts, underground distribution duct banks, equipment schedules, conduit routing, distribution, and motor control schemes
- Perform construction related activities including the review of shop drawing submittals and preparation of Request for Information (RFI) responses
- Prepare detailed cost estimates, perform calculations, conduct site visits before and during construction to identify issues and recommend field modifications depending on site conditions
- Provide assistance to project managers
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate professional level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- At least seven (7) years progressively responsible experience in power systems design
- Experience in the layout and design of lighting, power distribution systems (less than 600 volts), lighting controls, grounding, voice / data (copper and fiber optic) communications, and fire alarm for industrial, commercial, and laboratory projects.
- Experience with the AE design process and the development of detailed specifications leading to construction documents
- Broad knowledge of building electrical systems and knowledge of control systems associated with HVAC systems and building environmental controls
- Detailed knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC- NFPA 70) and other NFPA codes relevant to power systems, safety and applicable industry and client standards
- Knowledge in the preparation of load calculations, short-circuit availability, arc flash mitigation, motor-starting, and other electrical power distribution and lighting calculations to support the design projects
- Knowledge of lighting and power system design, including sizing of transformers, panelboards, switchgear, feeders, and control systems associated with starters, VFD’s, for HVAC systems
- Excellent teamwork and customer communications skills
- Proficient in the use of AutoCAD to produce design drawings and sketches
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced degree (such as Masters’ degree in Electrical Engineering) and/or a professional engineering license or Engineer-In-Training status in New York State
- Project Management Professional Certification
- Ability to model drawings in Revit
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Hand / eye coordination
- Mocerate lifting (up to 30 lbs)
- Ability to climb a ladder to worik at heights greater than 5 feet.
- Valid NYS Driver’s License is required
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now