Electrical Construction InspectorJob ID 2116 Date posted 06/03/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
BNL's Modernization Project Office's (MPO) mission is to design, construct, and update the physical plant of the Lab to provide facilities where world-class research can be performed.
As a member of the Modernization Project Office, the experienced electrical inspector will inspect work within the electrical discipline associated with new construction and/or renovation work to ensure conformance with contract documents and applicable codes and standards.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 10 years field experience in construction with an emphasis on electrical installation (110-480 volt), control wiring, communication/ fiber installation, and fire alarm device wiring.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interpret plans and specifications and perform constructability reviews
- Preparation of daily narrative reports
- Develop Lockout/Tagout Plans
- Verification of work performed on contractor payment applications
- Coordination of construction work with facility operations and other stakeholders
- Responsible for quality of work.
- Verification of contractor compliance with contract drawings and specifications
- Coordination of construction activities with facility user and support divisions to meet operational requirements
- Responsible to verify installation against shop drawings and specifications
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 10 years’ experience in construction inspection of electrical systems
- Working knowledge of the latest National Electric Code and testing criteria for all types of electrical systems is required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Valid driver’s license
- The ability to work Overtime on weekends or extended hours to accommodate contractor work schedules.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Certified Electrical Inspector
- Knowledge of fire-stopping, fire-rated construction, and/or fire-proofing
- OSHA 30-hour training
At Brookhaven Lab, we believe comprehensive employee benefits are a meaningful part of employee compensation. Our benefits program includes:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- On site swimming pool, weight room tennis courts, and other employee benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now