EIC Group LeaderJob ID 3459 Date posted 10/24/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The mission of the Nuclear and Particle Physics (NPP) Directorate of Brookhaven National Laboratory is to provide state-of-the-art experimental user facilities for nuclear and high-energy physics research and to conduct world leading research in high-energy nuclear and particle physics. The Directorate consists of two departments: the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) and the Physics Department. The Physics Department focuses on theoretical and experimental research in nuclear physics at the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider, and high energy physics in laboratories around the world. The departments support users from U.S. and international institutions to participate in the particle and nuclear physics experiments, programs, and projects hosted at BNL, and BNL staff members participate in U.S. and international collaborations around the world.
Furthermore, Brookhaven National Laboratory was recently chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. Beyond sparking scientific discoveries in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the EIC will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impact on human health and national challenges.
The BNL Physics Department is searching for a dynamic scientist as the Group Leader to lead a newly formed Physics EIC Group. To increase the effectiveness of the contribution of the BNL Physics Department to the broader EIC community, all EIC-related experimental activities in the department have been recently consolidated into one research group. The Physics EIC group is expected to grow as the Lab undergoes the transition from RHIC operations to the EIC in the coming years. The successful candidate will lead the contribution of the Physics Department towards the experimental program of the Electron Ion Collider. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify and implement a unified plan for the presence of the BNL Physics Department within the Electron Ion Collider community
- Lead experimental research effort towards the Electron Ion Collider in the BNL Physics Department, including the development of ideas towards a second detector
- Lead, supervise, and develop the Physics EIC Group staff with high standards for quality of work and to meet anticipated workload requirements
- Establish a specific portfolio for the Physics Department to lead in the EIC community
- Build connections with partners external and internal to the Physics Department, including the BNL EIC Directorate, the EIC project, and the EIC detector collaborations
- Develop an inclusive work environment and nurture the development of a diverse workforce in the group
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in Physics or closely related scientific discipline
- 15 yrs post PhD research experience
- Established record of professional achievement in the nuclear physics field that has brought recognition among the broader scientific community
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team of scientists, engineers, technical, and administrative personnel that includes both broad scientific reach and deep technical capability
- Clear and concise written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders having a wide range of technical and scientific backgrounds.
- Proven ability to promote teamwork and collaboration as well as generate innovative solutions to ordinary and extraordinary challenges
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with DOE Office of Science and/or multi-party or international construction projects. Experience successfully working within a user-facility environment.
- Experience in DOE Project Management
- Experience supervising scientific, engineering, technical, and administrative professionals
- Potential domestic and international travel
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now