Drafting Specialists and Senior Drafting SpecialsitsJob ID 2323 Date posted 09/15/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory was recently chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. The machine design is based on the existing and highly optimized RHIC Ion-Ion collider. It will consist of two intersecting accelerators, one producing an intense beam of electrons, the other a beam of protons or heavier atomic nuclei which are steered into collisions. Beyond sparking scientific discoveries in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the Electron-Ion Collider will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impact on human health and national challenges.
BNL’s new EIC division has immediate openings for Drafting Specialists and Senior Drafting Specialists to join our growing Design and Documentation Group. In this role, you will perform a wide variety of highly skilled design/drafting assignments in support of the scientific and engineer staff. Work assignments are usually on a specific task basis, requiring a high degree of proficiency in design/drafting skills and techniques for specialized equipment, components, apparatus, facilities or systems.
Join the BNL EIC team and be part of buidling the next discovery machine for science!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Under general technical direction:
- Design and provide fabrication drawings for components used in particle accelerators such as magnets, power supplies, RF systems, vacuum chambers and electronic diagnostics
- Work from sketches, oral information or data sheets, develop and complete layouts and illustrative drawings
- Maintain close contact with engineer and individuals for whom work is being done, reporting changes and modifications to engineer
- May direct and coordinate the work efforts of other drafting support personnel assigned to a specific project
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Technical institute or associate degree in Mechanical Technology and Design or equivalency, and at least four (4) years of full-time, relevant drafting work experience that must include using PTC Creo, Autodesk Inventor and/or SolidWorks 3D CAD software designing mechanical components and systems for fabrication
- Ability to perform mechanical design functions independently with general direction and review by a mechanical engineer or scientist
- Knowledge of material properties, component choice, manufacturing/machine shop processes, and dimensioning and tolerances
- Familiar with creating accurate and detailed 3D system designs as well as mechanical manufacturing drawings to ANSI Y14.5 standards
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Technology
- Experience with vacuum system components, high voltage/high current systems, RF systems, and cryogenics is highly desirable
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Essential functions/abilities for this position include: arm/hand dexterity; climb low to moderate heights; lift (up to) 30 lbs; good vision; mental sharpness
- May be required to occasionally work off-hours, nights, or weekends to support mission critical projects
- May be required to become a qualified Radiation Worker
- Valid driver's license required
- Selected candidates will be placed at the appropriate level based on their experience
- BNL cannot sponsor US work authorization/visa for this position
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now