Digital Design Engineer (Experienced)Job ID 1625 Date posted 02/04/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator Department has an opening for a Digital Design Engineer (Staff Engineer/Electrical Engineer II) within the Controls Hardware group. The selected individual will work with other engineers, physicists, and technicians to operate RHIC (Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider) and other accelerator-based experiments at BNL. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, developing, integrating, and maintaining electronic equipment for device control, timing distribution, and data collection throughout the accelerator complex.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and develop digital hardware sub-systems as specified/required
- Oversee digital circuit board design, test, and integration
- Maintain, debug and oversee repair of existing hardware
- Work with high level software programmers to develop support code and applications
- Interface with technical experts from other groups to facilitate operations
- Work with other engineers and technicians to achieve group goals
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BS/BE degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or related field
- 3+ years related work experience
- Digital design experience
- Working knowledge of A-to-D and D-to-A converters
- Working knowledge of microprocessors
- Ability to create and understand schematics
- PC layout design experience
- FPGA design and simulation experience
- VHDL or Verilog proficiency
- Experience designing circuits around FPGAs
- Able to use Xilinx ISE, Xilinx Vivado, or Altera Quartus tool suites
- Knowledge of at least one higher level programming language (Python, C++, etc)
- Able to use lab equipment such as oscilloscopes, function generators, analyzers, etc.
- Knowledge of ethernet communications (settings, protocols, diagnostics, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Experience writing and understanding technical specifications and other technical documents
- Able to work with minimal supervision in a team-oriented environment
- Excellent attention to detail
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of some revision control system
- Comfortable with LINUX/UNIX
- Hands-on troubleshooting skills
- Familiarity with system integration
- Experience using FPGA IP cores
- Xilinx ZYNQ experience
- Some knowledge of Fiber Optic data transceivers
- Some knowledge of serial device communication (RS-232, RS-485, Modbus)
- Some knowledge of GPIB communication
- VME bus or similar parallel bus experience
- LabView programming
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file