Deputy Facility Support Representative/Staff EngineerJob ID 3457 Date posted 10/28/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Radiological Control Division (RCD) maintains and protects the radiological safety and health of BNL employees, the public, and the environment. Our professionals and technicians are certified and provide expertise in support of the overall BNL mission by use of field deployed Facility Support personnel, an accredited Personnel Monitoring service, a fully functional Instrumentation & Calibration facility, expertise in Radiological Engineering and the handling of Isotopes and Special Nuclear Materials
A Deputy Facility Support Representative (DFSR) is a field deployed professional member of the ES&H Directorate with the responsibility of assisting their assigned line organizations with the effective development and implementation of the site wide ES&H program. Specifically, our professionals are certified and provide the expertise required for maintaining and protecting the radiological safety and health of BNL employees, the public and the environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- BS degree in Health Physics or closely related technical field or equivalent education/certification in specialized radiological/nuclear operations and (3) three years of related work experience.
- The candidate must have successfully completed the DOE radiological control standardized core or ANSI/ANS 3.1 Selection, Qualification, and Training of Personnel for Nuclear Power Plants requirements.
- Be certified as a Radiation Protection Technologist by the National Registry of Radiation Protection Technologists (NRRPT).
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Certification as a National Registry of Radiation Protection Technologist (NRRPT).
- Specialized certifications may include certification as a Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), or successful completion of one part of the American Board of Health Physics Certification (CHP) Examination.
- Seven years’ experience implementing DOE radiological protection standards and Federal regulations on occupational radiation protection (i.e., 10CFR835, Occupational Radiation Protection Rule); supervision of Radiological Control Technicians (RCTs); evaluation of line organization radiological work activities; and preparation of radiological work permits, with an emphasis on providing solutions-oriented services for achievement of science mission objectives.
Environment, Safety and Health Requirements
- Moderate lifting (less than 30 lbs.).
- Alertness, hearing alarms, understanding speech and speaking / communication.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now