Deputy Directorate Chief Operations OfficerJob ID 1834 Date posted 08/20/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Nuclear and Particle Physics (NPP) Directorate of Brookhaven National Laboratory is to provide state-of-the-art experimental user facilities for nuclear and high-energy physics research and to conduct world leading research in high-energy nuclear and particle physics.
Physics Department in NPP is engaged in theoretical and experimental research in advancement of our knowledge of particle and nuclear physics for the mission of DOE Office of Science. We are leading the design, construction, upgrade and operations of the particle and nuclear physics experiments at BNL as well as in other labs. We carry out extensive detector R&D, software and computing development. We support the users from U.S. and international institutions to participate in the particle and nuclear physics experiments, programs and projects hosted at BNL, and participate ourselves in U.S. and international scientific collaborations around the world.
The Superconducting Magnet Division (SMD) in NPP designs, builds, and tests superconducting magnets for use in particle accelerators world-wide. The SMD also builds magnets for various other applications and provides magnetic field measurement services lab-wide.
The NPP Directorate has an opening for a Deputy Directorate Chief Operating Officer (DDCOO) to oversee and support the operations in the Physics Department and the Superconducting Magnet Division. The DDCOO will assist and represent the department chair/division head in facilitating safe, secure, and efficient operations in the organization. The DDCOO reports to the chair of the Physics Department. This position requires a dynamic and engaging leader for the development and implementation of close collaborations with other BNL organizational units. In coordination with the NPP Directorate Chief Operations Officer (DCOO), the DDCOO may also support other activities within the NPP directorate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the research activities in the department/division and ensure that operational requirements, processes, and support resources are in place to meet the management responsibility for conducting work in compliance with Laboratory requirements.
- Formulate policies and goals for operational efficiency and direct effective operational initiatives. Monitor and analyze key performance data and information to assess, trend and continuously improve operations.
- Participate in the development and implementation of strategic vision, goals and objectives.
- Participate as a member of the BNL Operations Council to understand and define institutional-level risks, implementation methods to meet requirements, development of corrective action plans, and coordination of assessments.
- Substitute for the NPP DCOO whenever necessary.
- Establish cooperative relationships with and act as liaison to Laboratory support directorates (HR, ES&H, F&O) and other science directorates.
- Interface with BNL senior management as well as with DOE-BHSO (Department of Energy Brookhaven Site Office), collaborating institutions, program offices, regulatory agencies, and represent BNL in forums with peers and management of other National Labs.
- Engage daily with staff at all levels within the department/division to ensure effective operations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, or business management
- Fifteen years of experience, including ten years applicable managerial and leadership experience
- Experience in operational planning, participating in strategic planning process, leading and motivating individual and team performance, and planning and developing finances/budgets
- Advanced interpersonal, conflict resolution, facilitation, and collaboration skills
- Proven problem solving and decision-making skills
- Customer focus orientation
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s degree in science, engineering, or business management
- Professional certification in project management
- Experience in facility maintenance or other operational areas
- Knowledge of DOE Office of Science requirements
- Experience with operations in a national laboratory or similar environment
- Occasional travel may be required
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file