Deputy Director, Technical Systems, EICJob ID 3402 Date posted 09/14/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) has been chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. The machine design is based on the existing and highly optimized RHIC Ion-Ion collider. It will consist of two intersecting accelerators, one producing an intense beam of polarized electrons and the other a beam of polarized protons or heavier atomic nuclei. The two storage rings will intersect at two points to provide collisions between the electrons and protons or heavy ions within highly complex detector assembles. Beyond sparking scientific discoveries in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the Electron-Ion Collider will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impact on human health and national challenges.
The BNL EIC Technical Systems Division (TSD) provides engineering and design support to design, analyze, develop, fabricate and/or procure, assemble, test, install, and commission accelerator components and equipment for all three accelerator rings. The TSD has engineering group leaders and staff for Mechanical Engineering, Power Supply Engineering, Radio Frequency Systems, Vacuum Systems, Beam Diagnostics and Instrumentation, Beam Line Magnets, Cryogenics, and Design and Documentation. The group interfaces with the scientific and project staff for the accelerator rings and their systems engineers, the EIC Management team, and the infrastructure systems engineers.
The Technical Systems Division of the EIC has an opening for an experienced Engineering Manager to serve as the Deputy Division Director. The state-of-the-art high current accelerators that will be designed, assembled, and installed for the EIC have complex physics and engineering challenges. Successful delivery of these accelerators requires clear definition and delineation of scope, accurate and clear specifications for engineering and support groups, close attention to safety requirements for system design and operations, and effective communication and coordination between EIC divisions to engineer, design, build, install, and commission these systems. The deputy participates in and supports the leadership of the division in all these key activities and also supports the management of the staff in the division.
Join BNL at the beginning of this ground-breaking scientific and engineering project and become part of the team building this scientific discovery machine.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interact with and report to the EIC Management Leadership team for assignments, guidance, and support. Collaborate with EIC project leads, the project management group, other engineering teams and scientific group leaders and staff to provide engineering support, interfaces, and guidance for the design of EIC accelerator equipment and components.
- Work closely with the EIC engineering group supervisors and the engineering and design team within the Technical Systems Division, to manage and oversee individual engineering projects, set priorities, and develop project plans that define and document scope, labor, and material resources, schedules, and procurement plans. Then the subsequent tracking and reporting on these projects through to completion.
- Build and maintain a diverse and inclusive workforce in a professional, productive, respectful work environment. Supervise, guide, and develop the EIC engineering and design staff with high standards for quality of work and to meet anticipated workload requirements.
- Ensure that qualified staff are assigned to carry out the technical tasks. Develop and maintain the supporting infrastructure for the group staff.
- Oversee the development of specifications, drawings, and other procurement documentation, the review of vendor proposals and bids, the interface and follow up with vendors/fabricators during manufacturing, travel for design meetings and the testing and commissioning of new systems.
- Oversight of coordination of the technical staff for fabrication, assembly, testing, and installation of equipment in the BNL shops and facilities.
- Present engineering and design presentations for BNL and Department of Energy reviews as well as advise and oversee the development and execution of reviews by the Technical Systems Division staff.
- Ensure that the group continues to follow BNL safety standards and national safety and equipment codes. Oversee the development of work planning procedures, hazard analyses, safety reviews, development of operating procedures manuals, and oversee the conduct of operations.
- BS/BE/MS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or other related engineering or scientific discipline
- Minimum fifteen (15) years of relevant technical experience with a demonstrated record of successes with progressively increasing responsibilities, including at least five (5) years in a senior engineering role
- Experience working on creative engineering projects, collaborating with a team to develop, design, specify, build, install, and commission unique equipment, large technical systems, and/or industrial complex systems
- Experience leading engineering and technical staff to achieve system and project goals
- Excellent written and oral communication (including presentation) skills and proficiency with standard MS Office tools
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with particle accelerator operations, accelerator and scientific equipment design, fabrication, installation, and maintenance
- Experience with particle accelerators working with scientists, engineers, and technicians to overcome complex and diverse technical challenges and deliver new systems and components which perform as specified
- Systems engineering, project engineering, systems interface, and/or large system installation and coordination experience
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification and/or project experience with Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS)
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Will be required to become a qualified Radiation Worker
- May require domestic and international travel
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-Funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now