Data Acquisition R&D Engineers (multiple levels)Job ID 3193 Date posted 05/11/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of BNL’s Instrumentation Division is to develop state-of-the-art instrumentation required for experimental research programs at Brookhaven Lab and to maintain the expertise and facilities in specialized high technology areas essential for this work. Development of facilities is motivated by present Brookhaven research programs and anticipated future directions of research. Our work has a significant impact on programs throughout the world that rely on state-of-the-art radiation detectors and readout electronics.
Data acquisition systems are a key component of the systems being developed in BNL’s Instrumentation Division. Modern detectors produce increasingly higher data rates and require complex data handling and management. This is achieved by a careful consideration of information density and power trade-offs and it is implemented through a combination of dedicated front-end circuitry, Field-Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs), Data Acquisition (DAQ), machine learning, commodity computing and storage system. The variety and complexity associated with this development require diverse teams working in close contact with the experimenters.
We seek experienced Scientific Researchers or R&D Engineers with a focus on Data Acquisition Systems to join our group and work in close collaboration with other departments across the Laboratory. Ideal candidate will be a self-motivated, collaborative individual with experience developing high-bandwidth, low latency FPGA-based designs, including RTL coding, synthesis, timing analysis, simulation, verification and lab test and debug. In this role, you will work closely with specialists in ASIC and RF Groups in our Division, as well as with scientists in other BNL departments and collaborating outside institutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research, design and develop data acquisition systems
- Interface and collaborate with other departments across the laboratory
- Lead and participate in testing and measurements at the laboratory and at experiment sites
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or equivalent discipline.
- Minimum five years of progressively responsible relevant experience.
- Knowledge of FGPA design using the latest generation Xilinx/Intel chips, HDL coding using VHDL and/or Verilog.
- Programming experience using C/C++ or Python in Windows or Linux.
- Familiarity with standard communication protocols (PCIe, 1/10 Gigabit Ethernet, USB, DDR, AXI).
- Familiarity with benchtop testing - oscilloscopes, arbitrary waveform generators, power supplies, multimeters
- Advanced problem-solving and critical reasoning skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Seasoned ability to articulate and present ideas.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, with a team, and in large collaborations.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or equivalent discipline.
- Printed Circuit Board schematic capture and layout experience.
- Experience working with SoC FPGA platforms such as the Zynq ultrascale+, RFSoc or Intel SoC FPGA’s
- Experience working with high-speed transceivers in FPGA’s (GTP/GTX/GTH).
- Experience with hardware circuit design including ADCs, DACs, microprocessors, memories, linear/switching voltage regulators.
- Knowledge in Machine Learning and Deep Learning
- Familiarity with revision control and modern computing workflows (such as Git)
- Experience working with digital signal processing.
- Familiarity with research environment is desirable.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Any information pertaining to the environment, health or safety requirements for a position that will be considered when evaluating a candidate
- Essential functions from Job Assessment Form (JAF) such as: lifting of 30 pounds; the ability to run a ½ mile; successfully pass a stress test, climb a ladder or more, etc.
- May require travel
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now