Customer Service RepJob ID 3273 Date posted 06/23/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Guest, User, Visitor Center (GUV Center) welcomes researchers from universities, government laboratories, and industry from within the US and abroad who are interested in visiting Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) or in performing experiments at one of their scientific user facilities. The GUV Center is a central contact point for services for all guests, users, and visitors and is staffed with employees who know BNL well and can assist others in answering any questions that may be raised or directing to individuals who can.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Check-in and provide orientation to users of BNL’s user facilities, to all guests of BNL departments, to all casual visitors to the Laboratory, contractors, and provide other assistance as necessary.
- Utilize Guest Information System (GIS) database to process guest registration forms for all guests, users, visitors, and contractors.
- Working knowledge of Foreign National Visit and Assignment (FV&A) Program.
- Respond to routine semi-technical internal and external requests for information.
- Set up and manage file systems to input, maintain, and retrieve records and documentation relating to function in accordance with Laboratory and DOE directives.
- Perform recurring administrative tasks in support of operation or function.
- Generate, edit, and distribute documents and correspondence.
- Issue BNL ID badges, requiring knowledge of USCIS documents and visa types.
- Issue thermoluminescent dosimeters (TLDs) for properly trained facility users.
- Issue access cards for properly trained facility users
- Ensure guests have completed appropriate legal agreements.
- Respond to internal and external requests for information and guidance.
- Manage and complete assigned projects to achieve established goals within time and resource restrictions, providing feedback in process.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Four (4) years general administrative office experience or other relevant experience, which must include two (2) years of customer service experience.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a business or related field may offset qualifying experience
- Intermediate computer skills including proficiency in the use of word processing, spreadsheet and software for accurate execution of basic email and calendar functions; developing capability with Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS).
- Excellent organization, communication skills and attention to detail: ability to speak well, listen, write clearly and have the aptitude to comprehend a moderate amount of printed information.
- Ability to provide an excellent customer service experience to a globally diverse population.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure to handle routine and nonroutine administrative matters in accordance with established procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to interact at all levels throughout the Laboratory and collaborate effectively in a diverse team setting within the Lab environment
- Must be discrete and be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to adapt in an environment where priorities quickly change.
- Proficiency in MS Office products (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel) and the ability to learn SharePoint
- Ability to work independently within established procedures and guidelines.
- US citizenship required to access DOE database.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Use of SharePoint. Knowledge and ability to interpret and apply Laboratory policies and procedures.
- Proficiency with BNL business computing systems such as PeopleSoft Financials and HR.
- Experience in issuing Laboratory appointments and the check-in process, which requires a clear understanding of acceptable working USCIS documentation, personal identifiable information (PII), and all supporting documents associated with work-type visas.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
Flexible Spending Accounts
Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
Flexible Work Arrangements
Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now