Custodial Services SupervisorJob ID 1837 Date posted 08/13/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of Custodial Services is to effectively serve the Brookhaven National Laboratory community in a professional manner and to provide a safe, clean, and sanitary environment in which to learn and work. Additionally, it is our mission to build a cohesive work team to ensure customer satisfaction.
We seek a Custodial Services Supervisor to coordinate safe, healthy, clean and efficient facilities by directing activities and operations of a Custodial Services Team. As part of a team-based approach, in this role, you will also oversee and perform various operations activities for Custodial Services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Schedule work activities; balance and adjust workloads as necessary.
- Respond to emergency situations to resolve immediate safety concerns.
- Ensure the delivery of quality custodial services.
- Develop and supervise an effective team of custodial staff.
- Research, evaluate and recommend equipment, materials and supplies for custodial operations.
- Administer procedures and policies, advising and monitoring custodial staff actions. Monitor employee time and attendance. Prepare reports and maintain records/files.
- Participate and lead meetings, toolboxes/mini sessions, and training to convey and/or gather information required to perform functions
- Assist in the oversight and evaluation of specified contract services provided by vendors.
- Perform various operations activities for the department:
- Implement procedures and oversee documentation to meet OS1 Requirements (e.g. check-in/check-out procedures, safety inspections, usage reporting).
- Maintain equipment and supply inventories, perform equipment inspections and lead an equipment preventive maintenance program. Manage equipment repair orders. Assess and recommend equipment changes.
- Utilize Excel, Maximo and AutoCAD to establish and maintain work-loading data for teams (e.g. build staffing summary, create job projects/tasks, formulate building profiles, create core maps).
- Promote and contribute to an inclusive work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills for a diverse work force.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A minimum of three years custodial experience or equivalent related experience in a facility/operations environment, including demonstrated experience in a supervisory or team leadership role.
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service and communcations (verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Data-gathering, problem-solving, analysis and math skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), AutoCAD, Maximo (or similar application)
- Knowledge of methods of industrial cleaning, recycling, and safety practices and procedures.
- Project planning and project management skills.
- Proven skills in the operation of standard equipment used in custodial services.
- Ability to multi-task, work with frequent interruptions and adapt to changing priorities.
- Proven success working in a diverse and inclusive culture.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with OS1 Cleaning Processes
- Work-loading experience and familiarity with Cleaning Times and Tasks including Job Cards, Kitting Planner and Staffing Plan
- Experience using a Computerized Maintenance Management System (e.g. Maximo)
- Ability to read building plans
- Experience in a unionized environment
- College education or Technical School Certification
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Must be able to perform heavy lifting (30 lbs.+), walk/stand for extended periods of time, wear protective clothing/equipment, work with/near moving machinery, be exposed to chemicals, fumes, hazardous waste and potential exposure to radiation, occasionally work irregular hours and outdoors
- Valid drivers’ license required
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor