Controls Systems Group LeaderJob ID 1345 Date posted 06/21/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The National Synchrotron Light Source – II (NSLS-II) at Brookhaven National Laboratory has successfully commenced operations and is now searching for an experienced group leader in Controls Engineering for its Common Controls Systems Group. This group is newly established, and the group leader will be in a position to develop and mold the group to best suit the needs of the facility.
The successful candidate will provide engineering and software support for all aspects of the operation and extension of NSLS-II controls systems, including beam lines, experimental end stations, and accelerator systems. This position requires leadership of a technical team providing software and hardware solutions for motion control, PLC programming, detector integration, FPGA and integration of scientific and operational variables into real time databases. The emphasis of the group is on creating common solutions to be used by the facility across a wide variety of experimental and operations applications. The group leader will be required to work closely with other technical leads as well as a diverse group of scientific and engineering staff. The successful candidate will also be responsible for specifying the engineering standards to which the controls systems are to be maintained, and managing software version controls.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- BS degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience.
- Experience with scientific data acquisition or computing.
- Knowledge of industrial control instrumentation and motion control technologies.
- Technical group leadership experience.
- Software development in a Linux or similar environment.
- An understanding of software systems engineering principles.
Demonstrated ability to deliver complex projects and work with diverse technical team members.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- A Masters or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related discipline.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Experimental Physics Instrument Control System (EPICS) applications.
- A knowledge of Industrial Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems.
- Knowledge of real time operating systems.
- Experiences in User interface design.
- Experience and a knowledge of Delta Tau motor controllers.
- PLC programming experience.
- Experience in data acquisition in both high speed and high volume environments.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Python programming.
- Knowledge of C/C++/Java/Eclipse programming.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate grade level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills he or she brings to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor