Controls EngineerJob ID 1030 Date posted 10/19/2017
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
NSLS-II Accelerator Controls Group is currently looking for one Controls Engineer to join the team to support the operations of the control systems for NSLS-II accelerators, including the LINAC, the Booster and the Storage Ring. The candidate will also carry out research and development tasks for the improvement of the control systems. The successful candidate will collaborate extensively with accelerator physicists, operators and engineers from other technical groups such as RF group, power supply group, diagnostic group, vacuum group and insertion device group.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- BS degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics or related discipline
- Knowledge of programming in C/C++/Python
- Knowledge of software development in LINUX
- Knowledge of instrumentation or industrial controls
- Ability to work with a diverse group of technical team members
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Demonstrated skills in EPICS and RTEMS/vxWorks
- Knowledge of field-programmable gate array (FPGA)
- Knowledge of Allen Bradley PLC programming
- Knowledge of feedback control system design
- Experience of analog circuit or digital circuit design
- Experience in motion control
* The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate grade level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills he or she brings to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor