Control Systems EngineerJob ID 3239 Date posted 07/01/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
This position is focused on the implementation, deployment, and maintenance of NSLS-II beamline systems that control and synchronize high-precision motor-driven positioners, X-Ray detectors, and robotic sample mounters in a Linux-based Experimental Physics and Industrial Control System (EPICS) environment. It will also contribute to ongoing development and support for various database technologies for experiment control and for experimental data handling and processing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Apply demonstrated expertise in engineering area and apply working knowledge of multiple related technologies.
- Development of engineering solutions from planning to design to implementation and documentation,
- Communication with customers and team members, and continued growth of professional expertise.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a related field of study and at least 3 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated programming experience in multiple languages including at least two of: C, C++, Python, or Java
- Experience with developing in a Linux operating system environment
- Practical knowledge of software and hardware engineering practices that include requirements gathering, design, testing, documentation, source code management and release procedures
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to take ownership of projects and tasks
- Effective oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with professionals from diverse backgrounds
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- An advanced degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or closely related field of study and at least 3 years of related experience
- Experience with development for Experimental Physics and Industrial Control System (EPICS)
- Experience with software support for scientific equipment, especially synchrotron beamlines
- Experience with motion control technologies, in particular with timing-critical high-precision positioner control
- Python programming experience in a scientific computing environment
- Familiarity with data acquisition technologies, hardware and software, A preference for science-based experience
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as the amount of relevant experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table Tennis, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now