Contracts SpecialistJob ID 3158 Date posted 06/12/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Business Services provides high-quality business services to support the Lab's research initiatives by participating in cross-functional teams with a focus on risk mitigation and cost management, which is a critical component to the Lab's success. Led by the Chief Financial Officer, Brookhaven’s Business Services Directorate includes the Budget Office, Fiscal Services Division, Information Technology Division, and Procurement & Property Management Division. The Directorate manages a broad range of financial activities, including the planning and implementation of the Lab’s fiscal matters and its approximately $700 million annual budget.
The mission of the Procurement and Property Management (PPM) Division is to provide support for purchasing services, materials, equipment, and supplies for Brookhaven National Laboratory’s operations and programs. Procurement and Property Management Division is responsible for the following:
- Provides internal customers with quality products and services in a timely manner at the lowest cost of ownership, i.e., “best value” using best commercial practices.
- Supports the Laboratory’s socioeconomic programs by using reliable small, small disadvantaged, women-owned, service- disabled veteran owned and HUB (historically underutilized business) Zone businesses.
- Ensures that acquisitions are conducted in compliance with BSA’s prime contract, applicable statutes, and regulations and in accordance with the highest ethics and standards.
The Procurement and Property Management Division has an opening for a Contracts Specialist (A-7) and a Sr. Contracts Specialist (A-8) ** with experience in high dollar complex procurements. The incumbent is a seasoned professional with a unique and highly developed expertise for planning and coordinating complex subcontracts for services and specialized scientific equipment and systems for a department, project or program.
Responsibilities shall also include identification and tracking of customer supplied or purchased property and maintenance throughout the life of the procurement/requirement.
This position is eligible for telecommuting. Remote work options available.
**SPECIAL NOTE: Appointment level will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work under limited supervision, within established procedures and guidelines.
- Provide procurement expertise and leadership to meet technical, schedule and budget requirements. Oversee and/or conduct supplier site visits.
- Prepare and present reports on procurement activities, including source and price justification, as applicable.
- Document procurement files and perform the contracts administration, as applicable.
- Support and adhere to requirements of procurement's small business and socio-economic plan.
- Processes higher complexity, risk, priority, and dollar value procurements with a signature authority of $325,000.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BA or BS degree in a business field, plus 7 years direct procurement experience, preferably in federal government procurement.
- Experience with the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and/or Department of Energy Acquisition Regulation (DEAR), preferred.
- Possess an advanced understanding of the procurement business discipline, regular business contact within and outside the Laboratory to obtain and provide detailed and complex information, tracks, organizes, and analyzes procurement information.
- Anticipate and establish paths to avoid problems and manage administrative process on behalf of management.
- Develop and implement internal procedures.
- Ability to identify and resolve complex problems in the procurement of business consequence.
- Knowledge of information processing software, such as Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Skilled at establishing positive working relationships at all levels, internal and external and sets a positive example for productive teamwork.
- Helps expand working relationships and demonstrates the ability to effectively influence relationships.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s degree.
- Certified Procurement Professional (CPP) or similar certification in government procurement practices.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs;
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis).
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now