Construction Safety ProfessionalJob ID 2389 Date posted 11/04/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Maintaining and protecting the safety and health of BNL employees, the public, and the environment is our mission. Our professionals and technical staff provide expertise in support of the overall BNL mission by use of both field-deployed Environment, Safety and Health (ESH) personnel, and an Industrial Hygiene Lab, which provides monitoring equipment, sample preparation, and respirator fit testing.
The Construction Safety Professional provides expertise, guidance, support, and leadership on construction safety and construction equipment matters both in the field and at the program level. The candidate will conduct daily site safety inspections and will assist with the implementation and improvement of institutional construction programs, policies, procedures, and requirements. The candidate will resolve conflicts related to applicable safety requirements and will provide solutions-oriented service by working with construction staff and contractors under the direction of the supervising construction inspector.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct daily construction site safety inspections to identify potentially hazardous activities, and make observations and recommendations for construction sites and worker safety under the direction of the supervising construction inspector or independently
- Attend contractor job safety planning meetings/toolbox meetings
- Review and approve contractor safety and rigging plans, and contractor safety rep. qualifications
- Inspect contractor’s construction equipment, including cranes, rigging equipment, and aerial lifts
- Participate in project design reviews to ensure construction safety requirements are addressed
- Monitor the performance of construction contractors as it relates to compliance with site safety specifications and BNL’s Health and Safety Plan
- Monitor and audit contractor implementation of safety programs and utilize judgment to ensure compliance with state, federal (OSHA) and contractual construction safety requirements, including the proper use of PPE
- Promote BNL safety culture and expectations and provide solutions-oriented service to Laboratory staff and construction contractors
- Analyze, track and trend construction site safety performance, prepare periodic job site safety performance statistical reports for Laboratory and contractor personnel, and ensure actions to improve performance are implemented
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- The equivalence of a technical institute or associate degree in a related scientific or engineering field, considerable training, and five (5) years of related experience in a broad technical field, with demonstrated technical leadership.
- Working knowledge of safety standard 29 CFR 1926
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret regulations, standards and specifications
- Proficient computer skills including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Outstanding People skills with clear and concise written and oral communication
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- The equivalence of a technical institute or associate degree in a related scientific or engineering field, considerable training, and ten (10) years of related experience in a broad technical field, with demonstrated technical leadership.
- A bachelor’s degree in a technical, scientific, or engineering field
- CSP/ASP and/or NYC DOB Site Safety Manager designations
- Qualification as one or more of the following: scaffold/excavation/fall protection competent person
- Mobile crane, rigging, and aerial lift inspection certifications are highly desirable
- OSHA 30-Hour Construction Safety Training
- OSHA 500 Certification
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to climb ladders
- Ability to lift 30 lb.
- Ability to wear a respirator
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant experience, knowledge and skills.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now