Computing ProfessionalJob ID 1159 Date posted 12/04/2017
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Physics Application Software (PAS) Group in the Physics Department at BNL focuses on the ATLAS experiment at CERN in Geneva, Switzerland, development of the Next Generation of Workload Management System for BigData (DOE ASCR and HEP funded project), development of key components of the Belle II distributed computing system in particular data management software, and software development for the future experiments such as LSST and DUNE. It is the host of the U.S. ATLAS Project Office for Operations and Phase-1 Upgrade, and the ATLAS and Belle II Tier-1 computing facility, and is designated as one of the U.S. ATLAS Analysis Support Centers. The PAS at BNL has significant responsibilities in ATLAS for the distributed software development and support, and new Production System development based on PanDA (Production and Distributed Analysis system). The group has leading roles in ATLAS and Belle II distributed computing and software projects, as well as in physics analysis support.
The Physics Department has an opening for a two-year term Computing Professional to support a wide variety of development efforts involving Belle II distributed computing and the US Belle II Tier-1 site in the Physics Applications Software (PAS) Group. The new hire is expected to be stationed at BNL and will take a leading role in developing and managing the Distributed Data Management System and Conditions Database for the Belle II experiment. The candidate is expected to implement new software to automate data management which includes enhancing existing code, data base schema design, monitoring tools, and developing ML techniques for system behavior prediction and anomaly detection. Additionally, the new hire is expected to lead the development and operations of the server side conditions database effort. This position will work under the direction of the PAS Group Leader. The starting date is on/or about January 1, 2018.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take a leading role in developing and managing the Distributed Data Management System and Conditions Database for the Belle II experiment
- Implement new software to automate data management which includes enhancing existing code, data base schema design, monitoring tools, and developing ML techniques for system behavior prediction and anomaly detection
- Lead the development and operations of the server side conditions database effort
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor degree in Physics or Computing science
- Minimum 8 years of relevant experience
- Experience in software programming (with python, C++ and Java)
- Experience in software development for physics experiments
- Experience in distributed and cloud computing
- Experience in databases design using SQL
- Experience in leading software development projects
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD degree in Physics or Computing Science
- Strong physics background
- Knowledge of modern computing technologies
- Knowledge of DIRAC
- Knowledge of the latest database trends
- Knowledge of Machine Learning algorithms and technologies
- Ability to travel overseas
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor