Computer ScientistJob ID 3133 Date posted 05/02/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
C3D is the CSI gateway for expertise in high-performance workflows, distributed computing technologies, and FAIR (Findability, Accessibility, Interoperability, and Reusability) data. C3D integrates high-performance computing, machine learning, and streaming analytics, and translates them into reproducible science and scientific discovery. C3D conducts research, develops solutions, and provides expertise in workflows, scalable software, and analytics to address the challenges and requirements of science and engineering applications that demand large-scale, innovative solutions. C3D specializes in distributed computing research, software systems that support streaming and real-time analytics, and reproducibility. The team’s work includes performing advanced research into extreme-scale and extensible workflow systems, transparent and reproducible artificial intelligence systems in science, and real-time data analytics with a focus on explainability. Contact any C3D member for additional information and collaboration opportunities.
This job provides an opportunity to contribute to the several impactful projects and software systems. These include DOE ECP funded CANDLE, ExaWorks and ExaLearn projects. The opportunity to research and develop the next generation of middleware systems to advance scientific discovery on the largest computing platforms.
This position is available in the laboratory of Shantenu Jha, a recipient of the Gordon Bell Special Prize for COVID-19 research related work - https://www.hpcwire.com/2020/11/19/gordon-bell-special-prize-goes-to-massive-sars-cov-2-simulation/
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's +5 years, Master's +3, or Doctorate in Computer Science/Engineering, Statistics, Applied Math, Physics or related discipline
- Experience in successful and modern software design and development and lifestyle methods.
- Python and C programming experience
- Experience with High-Performance Computing --- principles, practice, programming and performance analysis
- Strong Software Engineering Skills
- Experience with Scientific Workflows and Resource Management
- Experience working in multidisciplinary scientific collaboration
- Track record of producing high quality software on schedule
- Doctorate +2 years post-PhD
- Appreciation for a range of scientific domains: high-energy physics, bimolecular, climate sciences, etc.
- Experience working in inter-disciplinary teams
- A degree in CS/CE in high-performance computing
- Experience in system software design and implementation of scalable systems
OTHER INFORMATION:· Moderate domestic and foreign travel
(Position level will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.)
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now