Computer Science Researcher and High-Performance ComputingJob ID 1827 Date posted 07/29/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is the scientific, extreme scale Data Laboratory in the US. With over 133 PB of archived data, we host the largest scientific data archive in the US and the 3rd largest worldwide. In contrast to many others, this is an active archive were we continuously reuse all the data in the archive. In 2017 we analyzed 500PB of data on site. This data comes largely from the many scientific user facilities that we support at BNL such as: the unique nuclear physics experiment RHIC, the brightest synchrotron in the world NSLS II, the largest Tier 1 center for the LHC Atlas experiment, the Japanese particle physics experiment Belle II, the Center for Functional Nano Materials and the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program. BNL is currently in the process of building a new 60,000 sq. ft. Data Center to accommodate its growing operations.
As a result we have a lively, fast growing data science research program at BNL, with a specific focus on the challenges presented by the analysis, interpretation and use of data at extreme scales and in real time. The data science program is accompanied by significant computational modeling research effort, in support of the design, planning, analysis and interpretation of experiments and their results. The Computational Science Initiative (CSI - https://www.bnl.gov/compsci/) provides the laboratory wide umbrella for these activities, bringing together computer scientists, applied mathematicians and domain scientists to carry out leading edge research, convert research results into practical solutions that advance domain science and provide the necessary computing infrastructure services and training to support efficient operation.
CSI is currently looking for a postdoctoral researcher to join our team. The successful candidate will conduct research and development in compiler technology for parallel programming models. We are exploring the implementation of OpenMP 5.0 in LLVM for use in an exascale computing environment. We will expect you to be able to work successfully in a multidisciplinary team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Study the challenges of using and implementing directive-based approaches for parallel programming in High Performance Computing
- Carry out research and development to enhance compiler technology in support of large-scale parallel computations
- Implement existing or new techniques to support OpenMP in LLVM
- Collaborate with scientific application developers to improve their use of OpenMP to exploit the full potential of high performance computing systems.
- Promote the research results through scholarly publications and presentations at leading conferences
- Participate in the development of related research proposals.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline
- Research background in compilers, programming languages or libraries, or programming environments
- Familiarity with overall compiler design and experience in at least one aspect of compiler development
C / C++ programming skills and a passion for writing quality code.
- Publication in a refereed compiler conference/workshop.
ral and written communication and teamwork skills.
- Candidates must be willing to travel in order to disseminate results and communicate with other scientists.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understanding of modern computer architecture
- Experience working in multidisciplinary collaboration
- Research experience in High Performance Computing
- Working knowledge of OpenMP and/or OpenACC.
- Experience working on LLVM/Clang a plus.
- Experience with accelerators (GPU, Intel Xeon Phi) and high performance computing systems
- Track record of producing high quality software on schedule
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file