Coherent Hard X-ray Scattering Beamline ScientistJob ID 1950 Date posted 12/23/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The National Synchrotron Light Source-II (NSLS-II) at Brookhaven National Laboratory is seeking exceptional candidates for a beamline scientist position for the Coherent Hard X-ray (CHX) beamline. A part of the Complex Scattering Program at NSLS-II, the CHX beamline is a high-brightness undulator beamline which provides world-leading capabilities for hard X-ray (9-16 keV) coherent scattering and studies of nano-scale dynamics of materials using X-ray Photon Correlation Spectroscopy (XPCS). CHX enables state-of-the-art research for a user community with wide research interests covering both soft and hard materials and a variety of applications including, but not being limited to, in-situ studies during advanced manufacturing processes, polymeric and nano-composite materials, materials for energy conversion and storage, quantum materials.
Working together with beamline scientists and data analysis scientists, with beamline technicians and engineers and other support staff, the successful candidate will support the user program and beamline operations at the CHX beamline. The candidate will be placed at the appropriate scientific level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills the candidate brings to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience.
- support of the CHX beamline: operations and user programs;
- development of high-performance data analysis and data management solutions for coherent scattering and XPCS;
- collaborative development of novel autonomous analysis solutions based on machine learning and artificial intelligence;
- development of an independent research program and opportunities for internal and external scientific collaborations that leverage the unique capabilities of the beamline.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in physics, chemistry, or a related field.
- At least two years of postdoctoral or equivalent experience applying X-ray scattering techniques to high-impact science, demonstrated by a strong publication record.
- Experience with complex X-ray data analysis
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work effectively with a multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, and technical support staff.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Prior experience in XPCS or other coherent X-ray scattering technique.
- Experience with Python programming language.
- Prior experience in the design, installation, commissioning and operation of a synchrotron beamline.
Other Information:The position classification offered will be commensurate with the candidate’s depth and breadth of experience.
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now