Codebase Developer - MaterialsJob ID 779 Date posted 08/26/2016
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The BNL Center for Materials Theory is seeking an exceptional, open-minded developer interested in building the next generation codebase to enable new scientific discoveries in correlated materials. The developer will work closely with a team of theoretical and computational physicists at the top of their field to integrate disparate computational models into a coherent simulation pipeline. While rigorous knowledge of computational physics and materials science is not required, we value an individual with a keen interest in physics and science with a strong computer science background. We value innovation, enthusiasm and curiosity.
- Develop unified architecture to integrate four disparate methods for modeling correlated materials; implement new modules and refactor algorithmic code as needed
- Communicate closely with project teams developing modeling methods
- Develop interfaces for parameter input and packages for post-simulation analysis of key physical quantities
- Assist in implementation of structured release cycle.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BS experience or equivalent in computer science
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in software architecture for moderately large code bases (200k+ lines)
- Expert programming skills in Python and C++
- Strong technical communication skills to interface with teams as codebases shift under active development
- Strong interest in learning quantum simulation and materials physics.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of FORTRAN a plus.
This is a three (3) year term position.
We are looking for both people interested in part-time employment as well as full-time.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- On site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor