Cloud Security EngineerJob ID 2208 Date posted 08/08/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a nonprofit research and development institution whose purpose is to advance ideas and knowledge through a multidisciplinary program of basic and applied research. The Information Technology Division currently has a full-time opportunity for a Cyber Security Engineer.
The Cyber Security Operations group resides within the central Information Technology Division. We have been charged with protecting Brookhaven National Laboratory’s cyber assets, with a focus on detection and prevention. This position focuses on cloud-related technologies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitoring and maintaining the security posture of BNL’s cloud deployments and assets.
- Reviewing audit logs and taking appropriate actions.
- Develop custom IDS/IPS alerts and applications.
- Assist with technical evaluations of new cloud service requests.
- Write SOP and other technical documentation.
- Incident response and investigations.
- Mentor junior staff members.
- Responding to help desk tickets.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent full-time directly related experience (2 years work:1 year college).
- 5 years of IT, including cloud [PaaS, SaaS, IaaS] management experience in addition to the required education/equivalency.
- Working knowledge of Linux or Microsoft Windows.
- Experience managing O365 architecture and security processes.
- Experience working with Microsoft cloud services such as Intune, MCAS, OneDrive, Teams, Exchange, Exchange Online Protection, and SharePoint
- Experience automating tasks with shell scripts.
- Experience with enterprise log/event management tools.
- Rotational off-hours support and the ability to be on-site within one hour is required.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with one or more cloud services [Microsoft, Google, Amazon]
- Experience with Python or PowerShell.
- Experience working with virtualization technologies.
- Experience working with cloud security tools.
- The possession of or the ability to obtain DOE Q clearance.
- CISSP Certification
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now