Chief Financial Officer (CFO) / Associate Laboratory Director, Business ServicesJob ID 2784 Date posted 08/21/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Business Services Directorate combines Laboratorybusiness functions to provide fully integrated business services and systems to BNL organizations and projects. Led by the Associate Lab Director (ALD) forBusiness Services, the Directorate has responsibility for fiscal services, procurement and property management, Laboratory contracting mechanisms, primecontract and requirements management, indirect budgets and rates, and providing business support to the Laboratory through field-deployed business offices.The ALD for Business Services also serves as the CFO for Brookhaven Laboratory and Brookhaven Science Associates, the LLC charged with managing the Laboratory.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide executive leadership, direction, and oversight for the financial affairs of the Laboratory, including financial and administrative activities such as financial services, budget, corporate, policies, and business systems.
- Provide comprehensive and enabling support.
- Function as primary contractual interface between BSA/BNL and the DOE. Lead/participate as appropriate with DOE in prime contract modifications and negotiations.
- Appoint Directorate representative(s) to coordinate the implementation of enterprise-wide systems under purview of BSD (e.g., ISM, SBMS, EMS, etc.).
- Annually present and justify budgets to the DOE, advise management on the internal allocations of these funds, and provide leadership and implementation mechanisms for financial management systems, including internal control and compliance systems.
- Provide timely and effective responses to DOE requests for information and assigned actions to assessment findings of DOE and other agencies.
- Broadly engage the Associate Laboratory Directors, Staff Directors, General Counsel, Internal Audit Director and other management and staff as appropriate, in setting financial and business standards and in developing the procedures required to meet those standards.
- Partner with the Chief Information Officer (CIO) in implementation of the Lab IT strategy and enterprise architectures
- Assure incorporation of "Best Business Practices" in financial and business operations and continuously improve and integrate effective business management systems.
- Serve as Chief Financial Officer of BSA and participate in the BSA Board meetings.
- Coordinate financial governance matters with the partners of BSA, i.e., Battelle Memorial Institute and Stony Brook University.
- Select, develop, motivate and continually upgrade human resources, to include managing staff performance, career development and succession planning, sustaining morale, and improving productivity.
- Plan, develop, and implement effective management systems under this role’s stewardship, to include the Financial, Acquisition, and Property Management Systems.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or accounting.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience working in the business operations or finance functions of an organization that includes 10 years of progressive management experience.
- Ability to develop and maintain the trust and confidence.
- Knowledge of government financial/budgeting processes and governance requirements.
- Working knowledge of federal acquisition regulations, as well as federal procurement principles and practices.
- In-depth knowledge of financial management principles and practices. Must possess financial management acumen with the interpretive ability to pro-actively identify strategic and operational issues and solve problems.
- Possess the ability and experience that demonstrate the critical importance of accuracy, consistency, and timeliness in business decisions.
- Strong leadership, communication, decision-making and strategic thinking skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to successfully interact with all levels of staff within the Laboratory and those of public agencies.
- Ability to work reliably under pressure to produce timely, accurate information and a willingness to innovate, where necessary, to bring about the desired results.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Master’s degree in business, finance or accounting strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of DOE financial/budgeting processes and governance requirements.
- Financial management experience working within a medium to large research and development organization.
- Federal Government experience.
- Certified Public Accountant.
- At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs;
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis).
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now