Chemical Engineer - Chemical Systems CoordinatorJob ID 1917 Date posted 12/23/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
NSLS-II Research Operations Department at Brookhaven National Laboratory seeks an individual to assist in the Operations of Research Gas Handling Systems at NSLS-II research beamlines as well as provide support as a Cognizant Space Manager (CSM) for NSLS-II laboratories.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities will include developing procedures and protocols for the safe operations of beamline gas handling systems, assist in the development/review of testing and operation procedures, provide operations support, oversight and develop/test capabilities in NSLS-II wet laboratories and gas handling systems. This position will also be responsible for the following:
- Act as a liaison between the NSLS-II Research Operations Manager, ESH, Beamline Staff, and visiting scientists for the safe operations of the beamline gas handling systems.
- Setup, operate, test and maintain the gas handling systems
- Procure specialty gases and materials for the gas handling systems and NSLS-II laboratories
- Maintain and manage research equipment and daily operations in the NSLS-II laboratories
- Assure safe operations of the Gas Handling systems and safe lab practices are followed
- Assure proper approvals are in place for start of systems and experiments
- Enforce compliance with BNL requirements for access and use of laboratories
- Train laboratory users in safety and use of laboratory equipment
- Assist with proper disposal of wastes
- Must complete and maintain BNL training requirements consistent with the requirements for the assigned space.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in chemical engineering, chemistry, or closely related field of study
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience working with Hazardous Chemicals
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, and technicians.
- Ability to wear a respirator when working with special gases
- Experience with the hazardous properties and safe handling of chemicals and chemical processing
- Ability to work occasional extended hours including nights and weekends
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 1-2 years or related work experience with flammable, toxic, and/or pyrophoric gases/liquids
- Experience with the operation of hazardous gas handling systems
- Experience with the operation of a glove box, fume hood and electrochemistry instrumentation
- Knowledge of the Global Harmonization System of chemical hazard classification
- Familiarity with Safety, ES&H, and Emergency Management standards, experience with government procurement policies and procedures
- Proficiency with appropriate software tools (Excel, Word, Outlook, SharePoint)
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings such as Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams or Engineering Flow Diagrams, single line drawings, schematics and the ability to read and understand Standard Operating Procedures.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now