Central Chilled Water Facility SupervisorJob ID 3222 Date posted 06/12/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Facilities & Operations (F&O) Directorate’s mission is to support the science and technology and environmental restoration missions of the Laboratory by providing a safe, environmentally sound, and reliable infrastructure, to provide high quality crafts and fabrication services to our customers as needed and to protect people, property, and national security.
The Energy & Utilities (EU) Division operates and maintains BNL's:
- Electric Transmission & Distribution System
- Central Steam Facility
- Central Chilled Water Facility
- Potable Water Treatment Facility
- Wastewater Treatment Facility
- Site Fire Alarm Systems
- Building Electrical Systems
- Site Energy Management Control System (EMCS)
- Energy Procurement
- Energy Metering Systems
These operation and maintenance activities are performed in a manner to ensure they are always safe, reliable, efficient, green and mission ready. The EU Division oversees BNL's energy management programs including sustainability, conservation and obtaining economical electric power and fuel supplies for BNL.
The Energy & Utilities Division, within the Facilities and Operations Directorate has an opportunity to fill the position of the Central Chilled Water Facility Supervisor which is anchored at building 600 and reports directly to Energy & Utilities Division Manager. The Central Chilled Water Facility Supervisor is a first-line supervisor responsible for the operations and maintenance of the entire central chilled water production and distribution, as well as compressed air production and distribution at building 600 and the satellite chilled water facility at building 555. BNL’s chilled water facilities and distribution system are critical to site operations, supplying comfort and specialized chilled water to over two million square feet of state-of-the art research facilities. This position supervises collective bargaining unit staff who work a rotating shift schedule, six days on with two days off (6 & 2), 24/7, 365 days per year.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under minimum supervision the chilled water plant supervisor is responsible for the reliable, safe, and efficient operation and maintenance of all plant equipment and systems such as chillers, cooling towers, pumps, instrumentation, air compressors, thermal energy storage tank, control systems, chemical treatment systems, and specialized equipment as well as programmatic equipment in the other EU plants.
- Supervises, directs, assigns, and coordinates work of the chilled water plant operators, including work assignments and scheduling of staff.
- Identifies the need for subcontractor support, develops those contracts and maintains ongoing relationships with the subcontractors.
- Determine work plans and resources necessary to achieve operational targets; prepare operations budget estimates and participate in plant budget preparation process.
- Controls operational expenses to achieve approved budgets.
- Identify, troubleshoot, and communicate breakdowns or upset conditions of plant mechanical systems, electrical systems, and control systems equipment.
- Provide informed, accurate, and timely communications to the manager, or plant operators on potential issues to ensure optimum plant performance.
- Assign daily work orders, preventative maintenance, and night orders to plant operators.
- Coordinate with energy management personal to collect flow data.
- Assure proper in-shop data recordkeeping (logbooks, critical alarm book, F&O Weekly Bulletin).
- Maintain Central Chilled Water Facility inventory in coordination with supervisor (Tools, chemicals, hardware, consumables etc.).
- Maintain a list of prioritized improvements projects for the facility.
- Coordinates with the Site Shift Supervisor(s) on a daily basis pertaining to daily plant operations, maintenance, and shift turnover of CCWF plant operators.
- Works with BNL chemical treatment contractor to maintain proper chemical treatment program and chemical inventories.
- Identifies and plans the daily and ongoing maintenance needs of the plant.
- Coordinate systems and equipment access for Maintenance in a safe and conscientious manner following safety rules, procedures, and actively participating in safety programs, such as confined space, lock-out/tag-out, etc. Inspects facilities and recommends action. Responsible for planning and implementing maintenance and repair programs.
- Estimates materials, costs, and staffing requirements.
- Plan and perform work in accordance with departmental goals, procedures, and trade standards including the National Electrical Code, NFPA70E, OSHA standards, and ASHRAE standards.
- Maintains records and prepares reports of activity, events, and employee attendance. Reviews and approves weekly timecards for the plant operators.
- Processes all work orders via the Maximo and Mobile Maximo work order system, including printing, assigning, reviewing, and completing work orders in a timely fashion.
- Coordinates work schedules and repairs with required BNL craft trades and supervisors.
- Responds and/or directs staff to respond to all emergencies, alarms, and unusual conditions related to equipment and services. In the event of emergency situations such as plant trips, equipment malfunction or power outage, takes appropriate action to prevent damage.
- May supervise service and maintenance contractors to ensure that work is performed in accordance with contract specifications.
- Approves invoices for payment.
- Acts as a Primary Authorized Employee to control, document, and maintain complex LOTOs.
- Hosts daily meetings to review work assignments, provide safety briefings, discuss departmental announcements, etc.
- Monitors and adjusts code driven daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual planned maintenance on equipment located throughout the site.
- Maintains a high level of housekeeping, inventory, and maintenance of tools and equipment in the shop areas and participates in Safety inspections and audits.
- Monitors employee training and attendance records.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires a BS in marine, electrical, or mechanical engineering with a minimum of 7-years’ experience in the operation and maintenance of central chilled water facilities and plant control systems with demonstrated technical leadership in a supervisory capacity.
- Requires a thorough understanding of the operation and control chillers, cooling towers, pumps, computer control systems, instrumentation & controls, safety systems, functioning of sand filters, thermal energy storage tanks, and air compressors.
- Strong decision-making skills and the ability to respond to a complex set of circumstances.
- Must be able to read, write, and verbally communicate in English.
- Must have a valid NYS Driver’s license.
- Must have working knowledge of computers and software applications i.e., Microsoft Office suite and computerized maintenance management software.
- Experience with supervising and working in a collective bargaining/union environment.
- Must be available for overtime and off hours call ins as required.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Experience and familiarity with the following:
- EPA section 608 (Universal) Technician Certification
- Trane CenTraVac and Carrier centrifugal water-cooled chillers
- Kobelco/Scales oil-free and reciprocating air compressors
- Various types of refrigerants, handling methods, and monitoring systems
- ASHRAE 15-2016 – Safety Standard for Refrigeration Systems
- ASHRAE 188-2018, Legionellosis: Risk Management for Building Water Systems
- NFPA 70 – National Electrical Code®
- NFPA 70E- Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace
Environmental, Safety, and Health, Considerations:
- Standing, bending, and lifting, up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to work in confined spaces.
- Ability to climb fixed and portable ladders and work at heights up to 20 feet.
- Use of a respirator and other related safety equipment.
- Work outdoors/cold environments.
- Work in warm environments.
- Ability to act as a primary authorized employee for Lock-out/Tag-out.
- Ability to wear proper PPE such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and hearing protection.
- Use of private car may be required at certain times.
- Domestic travel may be required on occasion for training purposes.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now