BuyerJob ID 1885 Date posted 09/12/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Procurement and Property Management Division is to provides support for purchasing services, materials, equipment, and supplies for Brookhaven National Laboratory operations and programs. Procurement and Property Management Division does the following:
- Provides internal customers with quality products and services in a timely manner at the lowest cost of ownership, i.e., "best value," using best commercial practices;
- Supports the Laboratory's socioeconomic programs by using reliable small, small disadvantaged, women-owned, service-disabled veteran-owned, and HUB (historically underutilized business) Zone businesses;
- Ensures that acquisitions are conducted in compliance with the prime contract, applicable statutes and regulations, and in accordance with the highest ethics and standards
Responsible for the procurement of a variety of goods and services through various contract types in a high-volume environment.
Responsible for contract administration functions including monitoring of progress, receipt of deliverables, invoice approval, and closeout activities.
Identification and tracking of customer supplied or purchased property and maintenance throughout the life of the procurement/requirement.
Will work independently within established procedures and guidelines, under direct supervision the processing of, but not limited to, priority low risk and dollar value procurements with a signature authority of $100K.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Negotiate, prepare and award purchase orders for micro-purchases in accordance with BSA’s objectives, established policies and procedures.
- Manage and complete assigned procurements using best practices to meet customers’ quality and delivery requirements at reasonable prices.
- Identify, report, and protect intellectual property and other proprietary information.
- Maintain the highest ethics and standards in conducting procurement functions.
- Maintain procurement records and documentation.
- Respond to internal and external requests for information and guidance.
- Comply with BNL’s occupational safety and health requirements.
- Keep capabilities and qualifications current, including completing required training for assigned tasks and work location.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a business discipline or equivalent on the basis of 2:1 (experience:college) years of full-time, directly related experience
- Experience in procurement or related business discipline or two years of a BNL procurement internship program
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Candidate must be self-motivated, resourceful and organized, taking ownership of all assigned work.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to interact effectively and respectfully with internal and external with a diverse and international population
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Prior experience teaming with technical requestors in a scientific or high-tech environment.
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to communicate verbally and hear and understand speech.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard
- Will require occasional travel in support of Procurement activities and small business activities.
- Initial term will be one year. Renewable contingent on funding and performance.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file