Buyer IJob ID 1943 Date posted 11/06/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Procurement and Property Management Division is to provides support for purchasing services, materials, equipment, and supplies for Brookhaven National Laboratory operations and programs. Procurement and Property Management Division does the following:
- Provides internal customers with quality products and services in a timely manner at the lowest cost of ownership, i.e., "best value", using best commercial practices;
- Supports the Laboratory's socioeconomic programs by using reliable small, small disadvantaged, women-owned, service disabled veteran owned, and HUB (historically underutilized business) Zone businesses;
- Ensures that acquisitions are conducted in compliance with the prime contract, applicable statutes and regulations, and in accordance with the highest ethics and standards.
The Procurement and Property Management Division has a dynamic opportunity for an experienced Buyer (Buyer I).
In this capacity you will be responsible for:
- the procurement of a variety of goods and services through various contract types in a high-volume environment;
- contract administration functions including monitoring of progress, receipt of deliverables, invoice approval, and closeout activities;
- identification and tracking of customer supplied or purchased property and maintenance throughout the life of the procurement/requirement;
- working independently within established procedures and guidelines, under direct supervision, the processing of, but not limited to, priority low risk and dollar value procurements with a signature authority delegated by BSA Policy and the PPM Division Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Negotiate, prepare and award purchase orders in accordance with BSA’s objectives, established policies and procedures;
- Manage and complete assigned procurements using best practices to meet customers’ quality and delivery requirements at reasonable prices;
- Identify, report, and protect intellectual property and other proprietary information;
- Maintain the highest ethics and standards in conducting procurement functions;
- Maintain procurement records and documentation;
- Respond to internal and external requests for information and guidance;
- Cooperate with and assist other staff;
- Keep capabilities and qualifications current, including completing required training for assigned tasks and work location;
- Comply with BSA policies, standards, and procedures, and regulatory requirements;
- Identify potential hazards, environmental concerns, and unsafe conditions or practices in work or at work site and implement or suggest controls to minimize risk;
- Cease work activity, and/or issue a Stop Work Order upon observing imminent danger and report the danger immediately to supervisor or ESH Coordinator;
- Comply with BNL’s occupational safety and health requirements;
- Provide input on safety and health to the Worker Occupational Safety and Health Committee or equivalent, to supervisor and to organization’s management;
- Perform work effectively, efficiently, and safely;
- Respond to emergency situations, alarms, or occurrence in an appropriate manner;
- Adhere to instructions on location warning signs and postings;
- Will be assigned other duties as assigned by management.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a business discipline or equivalent based on 2:1 years (experience:college);
- Two (2) years full-time, directly related, contemporary experience in procurement or related business discipline with procure as a core function;
- Clear, concise, written and verbal communication skills;
- Candidate must be self-motivated, resourceful and organized, taking ownership of all assigned work;
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Ability to interact effectively and respectfully with internal and external customers.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Prior experience teaming with technical requestors in a scientific or high-tech environment.
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to communicate verbally and hear and understand speech.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard.
May require occasional foreign and domestic travel in support of Procurement activities and small business activities.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now