Benefits ManagerJob ID 3284 Date posted 06/29/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Human Resources Directorate has an opening for a Manager, Benefits Programs to oversee the Laboratory’s vast portfolio of competitive benefits programs including medical, dental, vision, retirement, casualty and risk management programs. The position will also manage staff engaged in the administration of the Laboratory's absence management programs including the Family/Medical Leave Act (FMLA), New York State short-term disability, New York State Paid Family Leave, sick leave and sick family member, paid parental leave and vacation donation programs. This position reports to the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) and supervises a staff 8 benefits professionals.
The position will regularly interact with a wide range of internal and external entities to assure the work is expertly managed including working directly for and with the CHRO and other senior leaders, consultants, vendors, Fiscal, Legal and Occupational Medicine Clinic.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Either directly or indirectly through direct report supervisors:
- Administers Retirement plan, 401(k) plan and a supplemental retirement plan
- Provide general guidance, tools, and the availability of financial planners
- Planning for their retirement or termination of employment:
- Provide counseling on healthcare benefits, retirement plans, COBRA and reduction-in-force benefits, if applicable
- Assist employees/retirees/long-term disability recipients/family members with Benefits enrollments, terminations, qualifying events, open enrollment, claims, questions, and issues.
- Oversee all medical programs within the domestic, international, retiree and visa holder plans.
- Other programs related to medical (stop loss; subrogation; ACA compliance; COBRA).
- Oversee all dental and vision care plans.
- Responsible for absence management which includes sick leave, NY State disability insurance, long-term disability insurance, sick family member and NYS paid family leave, paid parental leave
- Facilitates the adoption assistance program.
- Responsible for conducting plan reviews, RFPs and renewals
- Provides assistance to employees for Family benefits:
- Paid parental leave, NY State paid family leave, and adoption assistance
- Absences due to their own or family member illness/injury
- Sick leave, NY State disability, FMLA, vacation donation, long term disability
- Manage Workers’ compensation policies which include NY, non-NY, legacy claims and international.
- Manage other miscellaneous insurances including General liability; Directors’ and officers’ liability; Contractors environmental legal liability (pollution); Automobile; Umbrella (excess) liability; Fiduciary Insurance.
- Administer Workers’ Compensation/Auto/General Liability (WC/Auto/GL) claims
- Administer flexible spending accounts for health care, dependent care, transit commuter and parking.
- Manage the basic and voluntary employee life insurance, basic and voluntary employee AD&D insurance, voluntary spouse life and AD&D insurance, voluntary dependent child(ren) life insurance (U.S. and International plans).
- Handles business travel accident insurance.
- Administers a variety of vacation-type benefits such vacation buy program and vacation donation (for employee’s illness or family member’s illness).
- Performs many analytical assessments and oversight accountability including:
- Develop, implement, and manage BSA’s benefits, casualty and risk management programs to retain high-quality staff with cost containment while meeting organizational goals and objectives and assuring compliance with applicable laws/regulations and U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) requirements.
- Implement numerous changes to the welfare and retirement plans for compliance with new regulations resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic
- Offer timely and innovative solutions to modern risk issues for the organization such as:
- Perform as all other duties and special projects assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources or related field or equivalent.
- Minimum twelve (12) years related full-time, contemporary work experience showing progressively more complex responsibilities in a substantive and relevant position in benefits, which may include casualty insurance and risk management including a minimum of five (5) years of demonstrated management responsibility including overseeing supervisors executing work. Additional education or certification in fields specifically related to the experience requirements may offset qualifying experience.
- Requires current, in-depth knowledge and understanding of all principles and legal requirements of managing benefits programs and related benefit policies
- Innovative problem-solver and critical thinker.
- Advanced analytical skills with the ability to articulate logic behind data, interpret results and recommend a course of action.
- Demonstrated ability to work through direct report supervisors to manage and delegate work.
- Demonstrated program and project management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including presentation and executive briefing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including cultural competence.
- High degree of initiative, confidentiality, and professional judgment.
- Proven experience in driving change through influence
- Advanced MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) skills to direct design and develop analyses and reports.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master's degree and/or professional certification in a relevant field.
- Current knowledge and understanding of principles and legal requirements of leave and absence management programs, including sick leave programs, Family/Medical Leave Act (FMLA), New York State short-term disability, and New York State Paid Family Leave.
- Knowledge of employee populations internationally (e.g., such as conversant in repatriation and evacuation requirements of staff).
- Will be expected to travel domestically, as required.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now