Beamline ScientistJob ID 3784 Date posted 05/25/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Imaging and Microscopy Program at BNL’s National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) offers world-class capabilities for imaging complex and heterogeneous materials with diverse imaging modalities at multiple length scales.
NSLS-II has an opening for a beamline scientist to join the FXI beamline team. The FXI beamline has world-leading nanoscale full-fielding imaging capability. Using a transmission x-ray microscope (TXM), FXI offers 3D imaging speed down to ~10 seconds at ~30 nm resolution over a volume of (20 um)3. This impressive 3D imaging throughput finds a wide range of scientific applications for non-destructive visualization of structural and chemical evolution under operando conditions. Presently, FXI is expanding its 3D capability into a wider energy range and over a larger 3D volume for attracting applications in a broader class of materials under “real conditions”
The candidate is expected to strengthen the FXI’s scientific program by enhancing the instrument capability or attracting high-impact science experiments. The successful candidate will also find exciting opportunities for collaborating with the members of the imaging and microscopy program, leveraging multimodal and multiscale imaging capabilities with other imaging beamlines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform user support at FXI beamline, exploring opportunities for high-impact, collaborative research with the users
- Develop collaborative scientific program, taking advantage of the FXI capabilities
- Enhancing FXI capabilities for new applications, for example by building new in-situ/operando cells
- Develop and refine workflow from measurements to analysis, enhancing productivity, reliability and efficiency
- Interact with the other NSLS-II staff to perform commissioning, maintenance, and upgrading tasks at FXI.
- Publish work in peer-reviewed journals and present results at scientific meetings.
- Explore opportunities for high-impact research using the capabilities within the imaging and microscopy program and the NSLS-II
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Doctorate with a degree in physics, materials science, chemistry, or a relevant field
- At least two (2) years of post-PhD “hands-on” experience with x-ray imaging or with synchrotron experiments
- Demonstrated expertise in experimental data analysis
- Good relevant publication record
- Ability to interact effectively in a team environment with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, technical staff, and users
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Significant knowledge of x-ray tomography demonstrated in publication or analysis programs
- Significant instrumentation experience relevant to synchrotron-based 3D x-ray imaging
- Demonstrated expertise in imaging analysis or simulations through publications or software
- Experience with user support at a synchrotron facility.
- Demonstrated scientific expertise in areas relevant to FXI capabilities
- Demonstrated proficiency in scientific programming (preferably Python) in areas relevant to FXI
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Mental alertness
- Ability to communicate effectively
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.