Beamline ScientistJob ID 3616 Date posted 02/21/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Imaging and Microscopy Program at BNL’s National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) offers world-class capabilities for imaging complex and heterogeneous materials with diverse imaging modalities at multiple length scales. The Imaging and Microscopy Program operates five beamlines (FXI, HXN, SRX, TES, and XFM) with strong general user programs and is constructing CDI beamline. FXI and HXN are nanoscale resolution beamlines offering full-field and scanning imaging capabilities, respectively. TES, XFM and SRX are scanning imaging beamlines with micron to submicron level resolutions. CDI is a coherent diffractive imaging beamline with a high degree of specialization for Bragg CDI. Members of the Imaging and Microscopy Program share common tools and resources and engage in strong inter-beamline collaboration
NSLS-II has an opening for a beamline scientist to join the TES beamline team. TES is a tender-energy beamline optimized for spatially resolved X-ray fluorescence imaging and XAFS in the 2-5.5 keV (will be upgraded to 1.7 – 8 keV) energy range, with a broad range of scientific user communities including catalysis, energy, geochemistry, environmental, and biosciences. Microbeam (via KB mirrors) XRF imaging, XANES, and EXAFS capabilities have been commissioned and offered to users, and plans are underway for developing additional capabilities.
The selected candidate will perform user operation and improvement of the TES beamline, as well as build up a user science program taking advantage of the beamline capabilities. As a member of the Imaging and Microscopy Program (operating HXN, FXI, SRX, XFM and TES, and constructing CDI), the successful candidate is encouraged to collaborate with the other members, strengthening scientific synergy across these cutting-edge imaging beamlines.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level contingent upon their depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide user support for the TES beamline.
- Perform operation, maintenance, and improvement of the TES beamline, including installation, testing, commissioning, and upgrading beamline instrumentation.
- Broaden the user science program at TES, taking advantage of TES’s unique capabilities.
- Engage in independent or collaborative research consistent with the strategic directions for the TES beamline or the Imaging and Microscopy Program. Work as a team to conduct inter-beamline research.
- Collaborate with NSLS-II and BNL scientists, and General/Partner Users for effective and innovative use of the TES beamline.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- +2 years of post-PhD experience with a PhD in Physics, Materials Science, Chemistry, or fields relevant to the operation of TES beamline
- Demonstrated experience in x-ray spectroscopy or imaging experiments, and data analysis
- Effective written and oral communications skills
- Demonstrated publication record
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively in a team environment with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, and technical staff
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- +2 years of post-PhD experience in synchrotron-based X-ray imaging or spectroscopy
- Experience in beamline operation and user support, applicable to the TES beamline
- Hands-on experience with spatial-resolved fluorescence or spectroscopy
- Hands-on experience with battery/electrocatalyst /catalyst X-ray experiments.
- Hands-on experience with in-situ cells for x-ray characterization. Experience with designing or operating in-situ batteries applicable to the TES beamline is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated Python programming skills, relevant to data acquisition or data analysis through publication or analysis software
- Working knowledge of EPICS and EPICS-based data acquisition.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Mental alertness
- Ability to communicate effectively
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.