Beamline Scientist X-ray SpectroscopyJob ID 2672 Date posted 07/30/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Hard X-ray Scattering & Spectroscopy (HSS) program at Brookhaven Laboratory’s National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) offers world-class capabilities for studying complex and heterogeneous materials under in situ and operando conditions. The program provides specialized spectroscopy, diffraction, and imaging x-ray tools, supported by computational resources for high-throughput analysis and modeling. Two hard x-ray spectroscopy beamlines of the HSS program 8-ID (Inner Shell Spectroscopy, ISS) and 7-BM (Quick x-ray Absorption and Scattering, QAS) are fast-scanning spectroscopy beamlines, with in situ and operando instrumentation integrated in the beamline architecture and data acquisition system. ISS and QAS offer world-class capabilities for studying the complex science of catalysis and energy conversion and storage, including batteries, fuel cells, heterogeneous and electro-catalysts.
NSLS-II is seeking exceptional candidates for a beamline scientist position in the Hard X-ray Scattering and Spectroscopy program. Working together with the ISS and QAS staff, the successful candidate will support the high volume user research programs at the beamlines. The candidate will be encouraged to engage in internal and external scientific collaborations that leverage the unique capabilities of the beamlines. The candidate will be involved in developing instrumentation with an emphasis on in situ and operando X-ray spectroscopy and diffraction. The candidate’s responsibilities will also include development of sample handling automation, design of complex operando experiments, and development of data analysis and processing protocols.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in physics, chemistry, materials science or a related field.
- At least two years of experience using X-ray spectroscopy in high-impact science, supported by a relevant publication record.
- Experience with scientific programming.
- Achievements using X-ray spectral analysis and modelling.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- The ability to interact effectively in a team environment with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, technical staff, and users.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Prior hands-on experience in the design, installation, commissioning and/or operation of a scientific equipment in a laboratory or at a large scale facility.
- At least five years prior experience in spectroscopy data acquisition and analysis.
- Skill with X-ray powder diffraction and data analysis.
- Practical experience with X-ray optics and/or detectors.
- Demonstrated aptitude in programming in Python or similar language
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now